Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

The obsessive hate people have for Zaslav is bordering on weird at this point.

The previous couple of regimes spent like drunken sailors, burned tons of creative bridges, treated the IP like dirt and left the company in shambles.

From a business perspective, you can explain away pretty much everything Zaslav has done. From a business perspective you can barely explain anything the previous regimes did.

The bill was eventually going to come for WB and an adult would have to be in the room to pay it.

This is like a decade of bad decisions of an extremely poorly run company culminating now.

It's just odd for people to become so obsessive about Zaslav and I have to wonder if it's because people don't actually care if WB is run soundly and more about wanting frivolous spending.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dominic Draper said:

an adult would have to be in the room to pay it.

Too many think being an adult = complaining about everything 

19 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

The previous couple of regimes spent like drunken sailors, burned tons of creative bridges, treated the IP like dirt and left the company in shambles.

From a business perspective, you can explain away pretty much everything Zaslav has done. From a business perspective you can barely explain anything the previous regimes did.

The bill was eventually going to come for WB and an adult would have to be in the room to pay it.

This is like a decade of bad decisions of an extremely poorly run company culminating now.

It's just odd for people to become so obsessive about Zaslav and I have to wonder if it's because people don't actually care if WB is run soundly and more about wanting frivolous spending.

Problem is Zaslev is making a lot of bad decisions on his own.

I originally agreed with you..and I thought that Zaslev was taking a lot of heat from fanboys who were angry that shows that they liked...but no one else did....were being canccled.

But he has made questionable decision after questioinalbe decision and in one instance..CNN..has behaved incredibly irresponsibly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

I'd bet serious money not only is the Gunnverse DOA but the new Harry Potter reboot never sees the light of day. Zaslav is just doing what he can till he sells the company next year probably to Universal.

As far as I am concerned. that would be no great loss.

But WB is too commited to the GUnnverse to back down now.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Eric Wayne said:

If you don't like people saying mean things about a capitalist CEO who will make more money than you will ever make in your lifetime, you can just put some of these users on your Ignore list. Because while you may not like these posts, constantly complaining about it the way you are isn't any better. Just throwing that nugget of information out there.

It is not that Zaslev is a capitlaist I mind..I am no anti capitalist.....but that he seems to be an inept one.

2 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

I’m sure it would be horrible… but worse than what’s happened over the past few year?

Hmmm.

It can always get worse. I mean we went from shitty Singer’s Superman Returns to Snyder’s Man of Steel after all. James Gunn coming aboard feels like a breeze of fresh air to me.

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It can always get worse. I mean we went from shitty Singer’s Superman Returns to Snyder’s Man of Steel after all. James Gunn coming aboard feels like a breeze of fresh air to me.

LOL bold of you to assume that in 2024 when Zaslav sells WB to Universal that the "Gunn-verse" stays in tact. 

Edited by Cappoedameron

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

LOL bold of you to assume that in 2024 when Zaslav sells WB to Universal that the "Gunn-verse" stays in tact. 

I could make an actual bet that he stays. Even if I lose I win, because then I get Gunn prepped to take over from Feige when the time comes and more Gunn awesomeness in the MCU.

avengers-endgame-hulk.gif

A lot of bad mistakes were made by the adminstrations prior to Zaslevto get Warners into this mess; the attempts to blame Zaslev for all of Warner;s problems..which some here have done....is just plain wrong.

it is just that Zaslev is making a lot of bad decisions on his own. He might not be fixing the problem he was brought into fix.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt...I thought a lot of early criticism here was basically people complaning that borderline TV Shows that were not pulling there weight were being cancelledl Hey I love Doom Partol too, but I understand it was not pulling enough of an audience to pay it;s way....but since he has done stuff that is badly damaging his product. CNN reputation is in shambles.and he is alienting a lot of the talent he has to depend on to make his show sucessful.

I don't know if his ultimate plan is to sell off Warners, but if so he is stupid  doing stuff that damages the product he is trying to  sell.

• Like 1

You also have the anti trust laws to consider. I think washington it getting leery of  bit media mergers. Disney might have basically  put the last straw on the Camel's back with the Fox Merger, the nest one...no matter which companies are involved..will break the back.

Apple might stand a better chance since it is not a full scale movie studio....it contracts out most of it's programming.

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

This is all relative though.

Employees at a company that has been overstaffed for 2 years often don't know that it is overstaffed, they simply adjust to the environment. When someone comes and tweaks it so staffing is more inline with where it should have been previously, the employees see workloads go up and suddenly think "omg we are an overworked skeleton crew!". 

"Raking in profits" doesn't happen if they stop spending on key revenue generators. Growing the top line is best way to grow the bottom line long term. Expenses, i.e. labor, are simply something to be properly managed. If we start to see Zaslav obviously under-investing in major revenue generators, i.e. if he gave Gunn a $150m spending limit on Superman: Legacy? Major major mistake. But "not giving a blank check" is different than underinvesting. 

We have not seen Zaslav do that so far so it isn't fair to say he is just cutting everything across the board. Batgirl is not an example of that either. Possibly the most responsible thing to do with DC is a hard cut is that there's a bit of a break, but hard to do that when the company has already paid for the finished products and needs some money coming in. Batgirl was still going to need some money put into it and would only reinforce the DCEU they're trying to kill.

Quite the contrary, Zaslav seems to be giving the marque filmmakers of Villanueve, Todd Phillips, Matt Reeves, and James Gunn the room to work. No doubt the paychecks for Joaquin Phoenix and Lady Gaga on Joker 2 are going to be enormous. 

No doubt his team of intelligent people are reviewing assets that are overvalued or not generating much revenue and seeing if they flip them quick for cash. 

What a complete pile of BS this is lol

Twitter didn't "tweak staffing to be inline with where it should have been". They cut thousands of jobs at the expense of quality. WB is cutting jobs to increase the profit margins. The jobs being cut wouldn't have existed if they weren't needed. Making 1 person do the job of 2 doesn't mean the 2nd job was not needed.

Also isn't it kinda convenient that to cut costs they fire people but the people fired are always making the least? Why not fire some of the executives making millions? Because they don't actually care about anything but making each other richer.

Just because he's still spending money on huge projects doesn't mean he's letting filmmakers film. He's just trying to maximize his profits.

(this goes for brands who do pride month advertising. they don't actually care, they're just taking advantage of profits)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Who’s obsessive about him? This is the WB thread, so it makes sense that people would be talking about the guy currently running the company here. 

• Like 1