Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

17 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Zasser was vindicated in writing off Batgirl, but he made a mistake in not also canning Flash and Shazam 2, and not sending Blue Beetle to Max.

Sigh..here we go again: Batgirl was expendable with its modest budget(and it was originally filmed as a HB)MAx film, the theatrical release was an afterthought); FLash with a 200 Million dollar price tag was not. When a movie costs that much you roll the die at the box office.

You don't understand that, you don't understand the film industry. You just do not give up on a huge investment that easy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Sigh..here we go again: Batgirl was expendable with its modest budget(and it was originally filmed as a HB)MAx film, the theatrical release was an afterthought); FLash with a 200 Million dollar price tag was not. When a movie costs that much you roll the die at the box office.

You don't understand that, you don't understand the film industry. You just do not give up on a huge investment that easy.

Blue Beetle had the same budget as Batgirl and is flopping badly. Shazam 2 is also not much higher of a budget and also bombed hard. Tax write-off was the right move like it or not. Flash should have been sent to MAX as releasing it theatrical destroyed the last atom of good will DC had left.

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Blue Beetle had the same budget as Batgirl and is flopping badly. Shazam 2 is also not much higher of a budget and also bombed hard. Tax write-off was the right move like it or not. Flash should have been sent to MAX as releasing it theatrical destroyed the last atom of good will DC had left.

You  just don't write off a 200 Million dollar movie. 

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You  just don't write off a 200 Million dollar movie. 

I don't think some of the people currently running the studios are making great decisions but the people around here spouting off they should have done this and this is freaking hilarious. Like sure Bob they should put you in charge. 

• Like 2

I saw an amazing factoid. It was actually cheaper to not release Flash and keep it on the shelf due to the added costs that marketing/prints incurred.  

In other news, I hope we see Robin done right in a Batman movie. Despite DCEU's shaky track record, I did enjoy the standalone Batman film.

https://fandomwire.com/thats-the-only-way-ill-accept-it-robert-pattinson-makes-stern-demand-for-new-dc-superhero-for-the-batman-2-and-beyond/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

I don't think some of the people currently running the studios are making great decisions but the people around here spouting off they should have done this and this is freaking hilarious. Like sure Bob they should put you in charge. 

This.

I don't  think any studio head is going to want to go in front of the Board of Directors or Stockholders, and explain why he basically just threw 200 Million down the drain.

When you have a project that is that expensive, you mkae very effort to save it, even if it means adding to the expense if it fails. You throw the dice with a film that expensive.

For a film that has a modest budget, you don't take that risk of adding t othe red ink. For a really expensive film, you do.

No studioi is going to kill a 200 Million film. End of story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

They would have lost less money if they don't advertise it and dump it on MAX.

Yes, but if you have that much invested you take chances. With a lesser investemnt you don't.

You don't just throw away a 200 Millin dollar investment. 

1 hour ago, lilmac said:

I saw an amazing factoid. It was actually cheaper to not release Flash and keep it on the shelf due to the added costs that marketing/prints incurred.  

In other news, I hope we see Robin done right in a Batman movie. Despite DCEU's shaky track record, I did enjoy the standalone Batman film.

https://fandomwire.com/thats-the-only-way-ill-accept-it-robert-pattinson-makes-stern-demand-for-new-dc-superhero-for-the-batman-2-and-beyond/

You can say that about every movie. That is why some movies inteded for theaters end up going to straight to streaming or DVD.

Thing is, you don't do that with a  200 Milllion investment. You take the additional risks for something that was that expensive. You roll the dice. You just do not want to give up on that big an investment.

I don't think anybody at Warners gave one minute though to NOT releasing the Flash. It was too big a film to dump.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

At the very least they should not have announced a new universe so early, effectively killing the entire upcoming slate.

I think that had little impact on what happened at the box office.

The vast majority of people simply do not care about the kind of crap. Something fanboys find hard to understand.

The films would have bombed if no announcement was made.

The problem iwth geeks is they greatly overestimate their numbers, and how many really care about the things that obsses geeks.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1