Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

October 2018 probably will be Lobo or SS 2 and November 2019 is probably Batman but I'm surprised WB hasn't opted for November 22nd since that pre Thanksgiving slot is either Fantastic Beasts or JL. 

Lobo would be awesome [emoji1]

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

October 2018 probably will be Lobo or SS 2 and November 2019 is probably Batman but I'm surprised WB hasn't opted for November 22nd since that pre Thanksgiving slot is either Fantastic Beasts or JL. 

I think they want it to open big then have softer drops a few weeks after.

They would be total fools to put Batman in a non summer date.

They really need to hire excel1. These folks just don't get it, which is AMAZING.

Kind of quietly, WB is having a big year at the box office. Currently, Warner's is sitting at $1.637B DOM, already better than their totals for 2015 and 2014, and with Fantastic Beasts sitting on deck that total is sure to rise sharply before the end of the year. Add it all up, and WB will surely have their best DOM box office total of this decade, they have a decent shot at a $2B+ DOM box office take, and even 2009's record total of $2.105 is not totally out of reach.

I think the reason this excellent performance has flown under the radar is because (a) Disney's mammoth year has sucked all the oxygen out of the room, and (b), WB's top draws, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad, have drawn more commentary for their alleged lack of quality than for their $320m+ takes at the box office.

It's a shame, because Warner's is having a banner year.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Kind of quietly, WB is having a big year at the box office. Currently, Warner's is sitting at $1.637B DOM, already better than their totals for 2015 and 2014, and with Fantastic Beasts sitting on deck that total is sure to rise sharply before the end of the year. Add it all up, and WB will surely have their best DOM box office total of this decade, they have a decent shot at a $2B+ DOM box office take, and even 2009's record total of $2.105 is not totally out of reach.

I think the reason this excellent performance has flown under the radar is because (a) Disney's mammoth year has sucked all the oxygen out of the room, and (b), WB's top draws, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad, have drawn more commentary for their alleged lack of quality than for their $320m+ takes at the box office.

It's a shame, because Warner's is having a banner year.

I was in a discussion with someone on Twitter and tried to get them to understand this.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Warner Bros has had a much better year compared to the last two years but I would say their midbudget films like Sully and The Accountant as well as the New Line films have been a factor along with the big tentpoles. 

Precisely. They even had a few notable Summer releases that made bank (Me Before YouCentral IntelligenceThe Conjuring 2Lights Out). Aside from Tarzan which didn't completely crash, WB had great Summer numbers leading into the Fall season.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Warner Bros has had a much better year compared to the last two years but I would say their midbudget films like Sully and The Accountant as well as the New Line films have been a factor along with the big tentpoles. 

No question, when WB has a big year, it's usually an across-the-board thing. They always seem to release the most movies among the majors, covering all the bases from small-budget faux-indy to midbudget to giant tentpoles. For example, this year WB has had six movies that hit the $100m mark, whereas Disney has five (though Strange will make it six any day now). IMO, in the longer run the WB strategy is wiser, because you're not gambling quite as much on the success of two or three films, like Disney is. 

And as a movie-goer I like it because it's more movies for me to see in the theater. 

• Like 2