Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Its most likely not what happened but what if, WB heard the rumors of Disney doing something similar, so they decided to be the first to do so, and now Disney don't do it.

That will be funny af. May be WB back track after WW84 on economic grounds, but then that put HBO Max on backfoot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

The problem is that the conversation is very one-sided here, it's all about what will be lost with streaming and not about what will be gained.

Streaming is likely to bring a lot from a creative standpoint with lower budget movies taking more risks, shows about some big IPs like Star Wars allowing to deepen the lore more than ever before..etc..And let's not even talk about comfort and price compared to theaters.

I know, it's a forum for movie enthusiasts with a longstanding passion for the theater experience, I understand being anxious or mad...it's jsut that it's disingenuous to make this shift looking horrible for everyone when consumers seem happy about it.

It's also a problem of people here venerating Hollywood's big names, leading to giving a bigger voice to stardom over consumers.

When it comes to this kind of decision these celebrities aren't necessarily your friends, they're in for themselves even if means screwing their fans.

HBO Max has to prove its viability before we can make informed statements on the potential gains of theaters dying out in favor of streaming. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

HBO Max has to prove its viability before we can make informed statements on the potential gains of theaters dying out in favor of streaming. 

The problem here is that using HBO Max for this might not be the best measure of the viability of streaming as it's not only not well managed: it's also a US-only service that's very late on globalizing its service.

That's why I'm more interested in what Disney does in that regard as they have a viable platform with a global reach.

2 hours ago, Nova said:

also i have to laugh at Nolan’s comments and i’m a huge Nolan fan. he’s the one who practically forced WB to release his film to theaters in the middle of a pandemic only for it to pretty much bomb which in a way made WB start thinking about throwing their slate of movies onto streaming, and now he is mad that WB doesn’t wanna release films exclusively to theaters? 

Tenet has nothing to do with WB and AT&T being managed by a bunch of idiots.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

The problem is that the conversation is very one-sided here, it's all about what will be lost with streaming and not about what will be gained.

Streaming is likely to bring a lot from a creative standpoint with lower budget movies taking more risks, shows about some big IPs like Star Wars allowing to deepen the lore more than ever before..etc..And let's not even talk about comfort and price compared to theaters.

I know, it's a forum for movie enthusiasts with a longstanding passion for the theater experience, I understand being anxious or mad...it's jsut that it's disingenuous to make this shift looking horrible for everyone when consumers seem happy about it.

It's also a problem of people here venerating Hollywood's big names, leading to giving a bigger voice to stardom over consumers.

When it comes to this kind of decision these celebrities aren't necessarily your friends, they're in for themselves even if means screwing their fans.

Dude, you being happy about this doesn't mean everyone is happy about it. A lot of people clearly aren't happy about it. 

Smaller-budget films are still being made on a scale never done before so streaming doesn't change much and I don't care if Star Wars has more lore or whatever. Streaming still fucks over a lot of creatives and crew (not just the big actors and directors) from getting paid the backend they deserve.

And you gotta be kidding me if you think AT&T is our friend just because you'll be able to watch movies at home sooner. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dude, you being happy about this doesn't mean everyone is happy about it. A lot of people clearly aren't happy about it. 

Smaller-budget films are still being made on a scale never done before so streaming doesn't change much and I don't care if Star Wars has more lore or whatever. Streaming still fucks over a lot of creatives and crew (not just the big actors and directors) from getting paid the backend they deserve.

And you gotta be kidding me if you think AT&T is our friend just because you'll be able to watch movies at home sooner. 

You know, in the end you guys will still have the most important thing: the end product AKA movies! Yes, you might lose the middleman called "theater" but the main thing is still here, and you still can watch it with family and/or friends.

Yes, it'll be sad but not a tragedy, it'll be alright. :)

• ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

You know, in the end you guys will still have the most important thing: the end product AKA movies! Yes, you might lose the middleman called "theater" but the main thing is still here, and you still can watch it with family and/or friends.

Just saying "it'll be alright" doesn't mean much . You're trying to be optimistic but it just sounds like you're being naive here. There's a lot more going on here than just losing the middleman.

It seems like you're fine with whatever crap these corps pull as long as you get to watch movies a couple of months early.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

These filmmakers might also have a sense, however valid it or not it might be, that a theatrically released movie is of a higher caliber than something that goes to streaming. Like, saying "straight to vod" sounds a lot like "straight to video" which sounds a lot like "this movie isn't worth watching". That may not be the case for much longer, but it might be how they feel now. Even I feel that way too tbh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I understand not pitying the wealth of the higher ups, I personally don't either. That said I would like to point out that there tons of people that work for these films that aren't on nearly as high of a payscale, for whom these ripples through the industry directly affect as well. We don't know what the ramifications for this shell shock to have throughout the industry on creative or general operating levels yet.

True

Im just venting. Recent experiences with rich people has me feeling pretty salty. Last thing I wanted to see/read is them acting like victims

Just now, lab276 said:

These filmmakers might also have a sense, however valid it or not it might be, that a theatrically released movie is of a higher caliber than something that goes to streaming. Like, saying "straight to vod" sounds a lot like "straight to video" which sounds a lot like "this movie isn't worth watching". That may not be the case for much longer, but it might be how they feel now. Even I feel that way too tbh. 

I'm perfectly aware they probably think that way, it's about prestige and ego.

However this feeling is gonna be outdated very fast as the likely decline of theaters will make them lose their shine.

54 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just saying "it'll be alright" doesn't mean much . You're trying to be optimistic but it just sounds like you're being naive here. There's a lot more going on here than just losing the middleman.

It seems like you're fine with whatever crap these corps pull as long as you get to watch movies a couple of months early.

I'm aware of the other fears you guys have, I just don't share them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I'm aware of the other fears you guys have, I just don't share them.

You don't share the idea that talent and crew are getting shafted even though that's literally what is happening? You're straight up denying facts here lol.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Best guess is that WB will just pay everyone but the damage is done via self-inflicted wounds in terms of getting talent to join projects from either the studio or possibly HBO MAX (due to the association) for the near future at least. The DGA is reportedly calling for a boycott, a rough look for a studio that's had a long history of being champions for their directors.

• Like 2

WB has more to gain by reversing this, at least partially, than they do from going on with this and alienating the industry. Most audiences don't even know about this whole thing (other than that WW84 is releasing on HBO Max probably) and won't notice what's happened to any of these movies until close to their release dates. On the other hand, it's already a big deal in the industry.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You don't share the idea that talent and crew are getting shafted even though that's literally what is happening? You're straight up denying facts here lol.

As someone here stated they're mostly rich people, it's hard to cry for them because they'll get a few millions less than expected.

8 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

As someone here stated they're mostly rich people, it's hard to cry for them because they'll get a few millions less than expected.

You'd be having the exact same reaction if you were in this position lol. And this affects more than just the rich. You do realise there are lower level crew members who get paid from backend deals right?

You also seem to be thinking be thinking AT&T is doing this because they put consumers first, when they're only doing this to save their own asses.

I know this is a forum that's all about how much more companies make from movies, but didn't expect people to actually side with the corporation here.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1