Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

36 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

As someone here stated they're mostly rich people, it's hard to cry for them because they'll get a few millions less than expected.

It's all relative.  These filmmakers/stars/producers/writers make work that entertains hundreds of millions of people worldwide and often brings in hundreds of millions of profit.  Many of the top figures in the discussion here have a reputation of doing that for years, even decades.  That is no small feat.  Should they not be compensated for being the principle creative artists behind this massive success in entertainment and business?  

Pandemic or no, if they were promised certain deals, and Warner Bros. in good faith tried to work them out behind the scenes before they made this announcement; most of these talent wouldn't have a problem.  But the way Warners handled it has screwed them and screwed the whole industry, perhaps accelerating an already dangerous curve for general audiences to demand more and more simultaneous platform and home releases -- which ultimately will seriously impact traditional profit margins for the industry.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

It's all relative.  These filmmakers/stars/producers/writers make work that entertains hundreds of millions of people worldwide and often brings in hundreds of millions of profit.  Many of the top figures in the discussion here have a reputation of doing that for years, even decades.  That is no small feat.  Should they not be compensated for being the principle creative artists behind this massive success in entertainment and business?  

Pandemic or no, if they were promised certain deals, and Warner Bros. in good faith tried to work them out behind the scenes before they made this announcement; most of these talent wouldn't have a problem.  But the way Warners handled it has screwed them and screwed the whole industry, perhaps accelerating an already dangerous curve for general audiences to demand more and more simultaneous platform and home releases -- which ultimately will seriously impact traditional profit margins for the industry.  

I'm not saying they shouldn't be compensated for their work, ideally AT&T should have worked this out with everyone involved....just saying I'm not gonna be mad for that, thry'll still be able to have their luxurious lifestyle at the end of the end because it's still money.

Besides, it's likely they'll reach out to these talents to give them their due compensation in the end, it's a temporary setback.

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't be compensated for their work, ideally AT&T should have worked this out with everyone involved....just saying I'm not gonna be mad for that, thry'll still be able to have their luxurious lifestyle at the end of the end because it's still money.

Besides, it's likely they'll reach out to these talents to give them their due compensation in the end, it's a temporary setback.

But for Nolan at least, the "luxury lifestyle" is at best a secondary concern. He's a true believer, he's honestly all about movie theatres. 

17 minutes ago, lab276 said:

But for Nolan at least, the "luxury lifestyle" is at best a secondary concern. He's a true believer, he's honestly all about movie theatres. 

He might be but it's not like he's gonna be able to stop the growth of streaming all by himself. After what happened with Tenet he should at least understand that.

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

He might be but it's not like he's gonna be able to stop the growth of streaming all by himself. After what happened with Tenet he should at least understand that.

Tenet didn't flop because of streaming lol. Tenet would've flopped anyways if not a single streaming service existed. Because you know, pandemic.

And he's not talking about the growth of streaming here.

Edited by lorddemaxus

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

God has spoken, and He is not pleased.

I'd be interested to know what Denis Villeneuve thinks, not that he'll say it publicly right now. I doubt he's particularly happy Dune will debut on TV. I wonder if he pushed back against the idea at all.

Trades have said Villeneuve isn't happy.

In the end the talent being millionaires isn’t really the point of why this was handled poorly by WB. I don’t feel bad they’ll get less money cause they’re rich, I feel bad because they aren’t getting (or at least not yet)what’s fair.

I don’t care they gave Patty and Gal more then everyone else cause realistically WW84 probably would of been the highest grosser out of all 18 movies being released, but they need to give fair shares to everyone if they wanted to keep things on good terms. 

I’m not sure how fixable this situation is but my guess is money talks and when you put enough of it in most of these peoples hands they’ll be a lot more forgiving. 

Nothing can fully fix what WB did I imagine and I’m not sure if Stankey/Kilar actually care what people think of them, so I guess we’ll see what happens. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cax16 said:

In the end the talent being millionaires isn’t really the point of why this was handled poorly by WB. I don’t feel bad they’ll get less money cause they’re rich, I feel bad because they aren’t getting (or at least not yet)what’s fair.

I don’t care they gave Patty and Gal more then everyone else cause realistically WW84 probably would of been the highest grosser out of all 18 movies being released, but they need to give fair shares to everyone if they wanted to keep things on good terms. 

I’m not sure how fixable this situation is but my guess is money talks and when you put enough of it in most of these peoples hands they’ll be a lot more forgiving. 

Nothing can fully fix what WB did I imagine and I’m not sure if Stankey/Kilar actually care what people think of them, so I guess we’ll see what happens. 

MATRIX 4 would outgross Wondy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

Some people think that and that’s fair but I don’t agree. 

I just think its perfect timing especially with KR being at the peak of his popularity and most comic book movies drop on their 2nd go.

Edited by Chicago

49 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Apparently, most of them got 90 minutes notice.

It is Warners Money, what they decide to do with their movies have nothing to do with the actors, i don't understand why they would need notice.

Edited by Chicago
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

They'll care when they don't see much profit coming in after writing off multiple $100M+ movies possibly for nothing (HBO Max's stock has already barely moved much since the news broke last week) and creators probably being unwilling to make new content for them after this mess. Although with how they handled all of this they'll likely just go the "let's offload our assets" route again and try selling the studio.

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Tenet has nothing to do with WB and AT&T being managed by a bunch of idiots.

if you don’t think tenet bombing at the box office forced WB/AT&T to reconsider their release strategy for their films then i don’t know what else to tell you. 

eta: i’m not saying tenet is the only reason why but tenet not doing well definitely played a role in how WB went about their release strategy. and in the end WB isn’t exactly wrong about putting their films on HBO Max as most people would actually agree with the decision given the circumstance but it’s how they went about doing it that’s causing the backlash. 

Edited by Nova