CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

Talking about ratings:

I still can't get over Into the Woods getting a PG rating. That screamed PG-13 to me and I KNOW parents were pissed.

Another example of the contradiction - that's a movie that always would have been PG. If movies like Frozen and Cinderella had been G, Into the Woods' PG would have actually signaled something to parents. Again, why I think they either need to properly enforce the existing ratings so parents can actually tell something about the film from them, or create a new rating to absorb the "hard" PGs (e.g., Rango, HTTYD2, ITW) and "soft" PG-13s (e.g., Ant-Man, Pixels). Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Rango, Tintin, Kung Fu Panda 2, HTTY2, and maybe Big Hero 6 are probably the only major animated films of the last 5 years that arguably earn their PG rating.

I'd say Boxtrolls and ParaNorman just get to a PG. But if they were rated G, I could understand. Coraline is definitely a PG though  :lol:

I recall Shaun having a bit of pretty risque humor. Don't think it was entirely unwarranted. IO gets pretty heavy near the end so I understand that. I expect Good Dinosaur will earn it as well Frozen is the one that makes the least amount of sense to me

Shaun targets 5 year olds primarily, though. It defeats the purpose of being a kids movie if it requires parental guidance. Besides movies like Shaun and Minions, light-hearted and innocent comedies, getting the same rating as dark/mature films like Rango and Coraline is why you've got parents thinking those two films should be PG-13. 

Any 'risque' humor would fly over the heads of its target audience, and it looks about as innocuous as Chicken Run/Were-Rabbit. It should have a G rating for sure. 'Mild rude humor' doesn't cut it for me. Same for 'mild action' or 'mild thematic elements' - I think all of those are perfectly acceptable in a G-rated film. 

Bambi, Lion King, WALL-E and even Toy Story 3 are all far heavier than Inside Out. Just being 'heavy' shouldn't warrant a PG. There's nothing particularly inappropriate about IO - content wise it definitely deserves a G. 

I just find it ridiculous that a supposedly kid-friendly movie 'may have content that is unsuitable for children'  :D still think that studios pay the MPAA for a PG rating for their kids movies these days. I just don't see how the G rating would almost completely disappear unless studios stopped wanting one. 

• Like 1

Bambi, Lion King, WALL-E and even Toy Story 3 are all far heavier than Inside Out. Just being 'heavy' shouldn't warrant a PG. There's nothing particularly inappropriate about IO - content wise it definitely deserves a G. 

Nothing in those films is as imitatable as stealing your mom's credit card to run away

Regardless I think they all deserve PGs as well.

Maybe there should be a new rating to differentiate between family-appropriate movies with some heavy themes and more violent or risque PG movies like Rango, but I also don't think they should be lumped in with films aimed at small children that are literally devoid of objectionable content.

Edited by tribefan695

Nothing in those films is as imitatable as stealing your mom's credit card to run away

Maybe there should be a new rating to differentiate between family-appropriate movies with some heavy themes and more violent or risque PG movies like Rango, but I also don't think they should be lumped in with films aimed at small children that are literally devoid of objectional content.

But Bambi and Lion King are aimed primarily at kids under the age of 8  :lol: I agree that WALL-E and TS3 skew older, but they're still family-friendly. They don't have anything that would be legtimately unsuitable for a preschooler or kindergartener to see - unless they're a sheltered snowflake as many Millenials are  :rolleyes: 

And in today's day and age, a kid under the age of 13 can't imitate what Riley does in the third act anyways, so I don't know why you brought it up. 

Maybe I just actually expect some profanity, sexuality, drug references, and intense violence in a PG film (BTTF, Indiana Jones, Goonies, Gremlins, Roger Rabbit, Big, Home Alone, Star Wars OT, Rango, Into the Woods, Antz, the first Shrek, We Bought a Zoo, etc). I just think it's ridiculous how some kids movies get a PG, when they would've gotten a G 12-13 years ago. 

To me, if a film is generally acceptable for most people (except infants/toddlers), it should have a G rating. Anyone under the age of 4 shouldn't really be watching movies anyways, so they shouldn't be the barometer for what gets a G or not. A PG should be reserved for films that actually have inappropriate/intense material.

Kids TV shows have TV Y and TV Y7 ratings. Most Pixar/Dreamworks films would probably fall under Y7. Maybe the MPAA could introduce similar "kids" ratings like that and reserve the others for films aimed at mature audiences.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

It's only a song for the trailers and credits of the movie. As for the image she's not in the movie, it's just something that the animators put together as a thank you.

Also part of the promo for the movie just seems to be getting celebrities and Peanutsing them today-ig-al-roker-150728_be3d0df24471958

I FOUND THAT SHIT OUT USING 2 MINUTES OF GOOGLE. PEOPLE ITS NOT HARD

That made me lol ....cranky Google user.   :D   (not meant as an insult)

Since Trainor's thing is mainly a 50s/60s style, I don't see anything horrific about it.

Agreed.   Her style fits the vibe of the comic.

• Like 1

That made me lol ....cranky Google user.   :D   (not meant as an insult)

Agreed.   Her style fits the vibe of the comic.

There is I have heard a scene in the film with Hip Hop music,but it's Charlie Brown fantasizing about cool he will be to the Red Haired Girl,and, of course, it blows up in his face.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Maybe there should be a new rating to differentiate between family-appropriate movies with some heavy themes and more violent or risque PG movies like Rango, but I also don't think they should be lumped in with films aimed at small children that are literally devoid of objectionable content.

The problem is that studios fear that teens and adults won't go to see G rated movies because the common belief now is that the G rating is for preschoolers. They might as well kill off the G rating because it has become worthless.

We have essentially returned to the three-rating system that existed between X becoming taboo in Hollywood in the early 70s, and the introduction of PG-13 in 1984. Except it's PG/PG-13/R instead of G/PG/R.

Further reason why I foresee the introduction of a new rating between PG and PG-13 at some point...

Edited by TServo2049

Then there's there's the other 1500 people that worked on this movie and didn't give a damn.

Oh come on. It's impossible to hate Peanuts. At least for people around my age and older (who would be the ages of the people working on this movie).

At the very least, I think it's impossible to dislike Snoopy.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2