Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

34 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

BPretty good film, I enjoyed the puzzles Indy has to figure out to get to the grail, some of the humour is good. It doesn't stand out to me though, it's nowhere near as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The greatest third installment of a series everWritten December 28th, 1999Thanks to the Godfather and Rocky movies, sequels became a part of our vernacular in the 70's. If there was a sequel before these two franchises, I can't remember them. And since sequels have meant pretty much big bucks at the box office, many times they are pale imitations to the original. To name a few movie franchises that have now gone on to do at least three films, you have the Rocky's, Godfather, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Aliens, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Jaws, Star Wars, Batman, Rambo, Superman, Scream, Child's Play, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. These are just a few of the film franchises that have gone on to do at least three films. And I can guarantee you that no film series can boast that their third offering is almost as good as their first. It just doesn't happen. It is hard to duplicate the energy and originality of the first one that came out. But the Indy movies are different. First of all they are created by two of the best in the business and they star one of the greatest actors to ever live. And what you get when you have two creative genius behind the scenes is a series that tries so hard to please and a series that doesn't rehash the story that made the first one work. You get a story that furthers the trials and tribulations of the hero Indiana Jones, and you get a film that keeps giving you insights into his life. In the first, we meet Indiana Jones, the daring archeologist that risks life and limb to recover artifacts for his museum. You also meet Marion Ravenwood, a long lost love, Marcus Brody, his mentor and boss and Sola, one of best friends from Cairo and Belloq ( or according to Sola, Bellosh ). Temple of Doom takes us back in time and introduces us to Short Round. And finally we have Last Crusade. Here we meet Indiana Jones as a teenager. We are introduced to the folklore that is Indiana Jones. We see how his fear of snakes started, how he was introduced to his bullwhip and his fedora and even how he got that famous scar on his chin. And in the casting coup of the century, we meet his dad played by Sean Connery. We are also treated to some familiar faces as Brody and Sola return. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is the best second sequel ever made. This could have been the beginning to a series if we didn't already know about Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is that much fun and so filled with richness.The only complaint that I have about this film is what they did with Marcus Brody. In Raiders, he tells Indy that if he were five years younger he would have gone after the Ark himself. He was a warrior and one who probably went on many adventures in the style that Indy did. But in this one they forgot all about that adventurous side to him and instead they went for comic relief at his expense. Any true Indy fan will tell you that he should have been able to handle himself when he bumped into Sola. He should have been everything that Indy told Ilsa and Donovan that he was when they found out that Brody had the map. But aside from this small discrepency, the film is flawless and one of the most entertaining films ever made. And even though the talent involved here dictates that it should be perfect, keep in mind that making a sequel is never easy. You now have devoted fans that are going to judge you with every written word, every swing of the whip and every new character introduced. Last Crusade succeeds where most others fail and that is perhaps because the makers and star of this film ( Steven, George, Frank and Harrison ) care about Indiana Jones. They want him to be the same as he was in Raiders and Temple. I saw this film 12 times at the theatre when it came out. I was fortunate enough to know an usher at The London Mews back in 1989 and he let me stay for the second and third showing of the day ( and night ) free of charge. This was a time when movies were events, they were and still are larger than life to me. I get excited when I see a good one and I get anxious when a movie like this comes out. I sincerely hope they get around to making a fourth one because as excited as I was to see Star Wars Episode 1, that excitement will pale in comparison to when I am sitting in the theater one day and I am waiting to see the new Tom Hanks movie ( whatever that may be at the time ) and that John Williams music invades the speakers and tells me that there is a new Indy movie that is going to be released on Victoria Day Weekend ( here in Canada that is). I will count the days down until it comes out. The Indy movies are what movies are all about. They are a micorcosm of entertainment and as close to a religious experience, filmwise, as you can come. Raiders was a great beginning, Temple furthered the story wonderfully and Crusade summed it up beautifully. My life is richer because Indiana Jones is a part of it, and I know I am not the only one that feels that way.9.5/10

Edited by Expendable baumer
  • Like 4

I have this as my 2nd favorite of the series. With the inclusing of Connery and even River Phoenix as a young Indy, definitely added more to the film. It was good to see how Indy was influenced by his father in good and "bad" ways.

I also thought the movie had a really nice ending to wrap up the saga. Obviously it wasn't the ending of the films :P

A

• Like 1

Easily the finest Indiana Jones film ever made. Perfect blend of action, humor, seriousness, history and acting. Music just makes it perfect.

The desert battle is easily some of the best action ever in a movie. 

A+

Also God is pretty cruel to make that man read the bible for 700 years, all alone, till he meets his replacement. Then his replacement loses the cup and destroys his temple. What an asshole.  :lol: 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 1

Amazing movie. Everybody involved is at the top of their games here. It has great performances by Ford and Connery. Their chemistry is fabulous. The action scenes are outstanding. Spielberg just came up with a fantastic movie that is  very close to Raiders in quality. 

It is immensely rewatchable. Must have watched it over 100 times.

A+

• Like 1