A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So how does it goes both way. They also want their 60B but are gonna not let Eternals and Shang Chi, which can do 1.5-3B.

I highly doubt they would hit Furious 9 level on average. But yes, they are very important for Sep & Nov.

Actually, local bureau want not only Shang-Chi and Eternals but also Nomadland. Disney rejected the release plan of Nomadland due to the controversies about Zhao, who also directed Eternals. If Zhao didn't handle a big Disney title, the studio probably didn't care about the online fights and kept releasing it in China. But the fate of Eternals was already tied up with that movie. Disney thought it would be better for them to cancel the release plan of Nomadland, giving Eternals a break.

For Shang-Chi and Eternals, they should get permissions as long as the contents are not anti-China. But just like Nomadland, they could be missing if public awareness are too bad. Bureau, Disney or Marvel, none of them want to keep facing complicated situations.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

🤣🤣

Ya demand isn’t that much, unlike Mulan which ever single freaking trailer trended on Weibo and the 1 week delay in release (compared to D+) basically killed it, as people who were excited / curious all watched Mulan online illegally already.

I mean I just did a random search and I can’t find any pirated links for Cruella yet on any Chinese sites.

015-E9-AB8-0019-4816-A5-BC-49-A0-DF5-F4-

AQP2 last minute release could be because of they realise F9 drop too fast and that jeopardize their May's goal so that quickly give AQP2 a pass in the hope it can make up some ground from F9's disastrous leg which they clearly didn't expect. 

Looks like ¥1,350~1425M lifetime for F9. Bit lower than H&S. Thank to good ER, it's still over $200M.

I highly doubt a sequel would come out soon. Compared with less BO revenue, the biggest problem of the franchise is that Vin Diesel and the team couldn't deliver anything good or fresh. I've felt that way since the teaser of F9. And the whole movie just proved my feeling was right this time. Vin said in Chinese press tour that they would go China in F10, but I think this would only bring the franchise to the end more quickly due to the intense, and...Oh wait, F10 IS the end?! Then there is nothing to be alarmed about if they control the production budget under $20 million, or sell it to Netflix at the price of $2 billion.

• Like 1

F9: Vin Diesel Believes Paul Walker Told Him to Cast John Cena

By BRANDON DAVIS 

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/f9-vin-diesel-paul-walker-john-cena-casting/

Look back this news, maybe Paul Walker was telling him just end the franchise considering the controversies around John Cena.

38 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just 57M 2nd SAT for F9. At this point certainly missing 1400M. Best case scenario, may be 1300M if Dragon Boat Festival releases take it all.

Haha. In the end the China gross is so close to Vin Diesel's other franchise - xXx3 which budget is way way way less.

Edit: To be fair, xXx3 while smaller budget had a local Superstar in Donnie Yen and promotion really focused on him

china-2.jpg

Edited by TigerPaw

14 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Dreams of missing $200M running through my mind again. But probably just mirage, it’s already so close.

It would have probably missed but June 1 will ruin it. 

If any consolation, the actual gross will under $200M and admits under 35M (something all $200M films have).

I will do in better presentation some day, but

Top Import Films - Admits

1. Avengers: Endgame - 86.8M
  2. The Fate of the Furious - 72.9M
  3. Furious 7 - 62.5M
  4. Avengers: Infinity War - 62.5M
  5. Venom - 52.6M
  6. Aquaman - 50.3M
  7. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 47.5M
  8. Transformers: Age of Extinction - 47.4M
  9. Zootopia - 45.3M
  10. Dangal - 43.2M
  11. Transformers: The Last Knight - 41.9M
  12. Hobbs and Shaw - 40.2M
  13. Titanic - 40M
  14. Warcraft - 39.6M
  15. Spider-man: Far From Home - 39.4M
  16. Ready Player One - 38.5M
  17. Avatar - 37.6M
  18. Jurassic World - 37M
  19. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 36.5M
  20. Captain America: Civil War - 35.5M
  21. Coco - 35M
  22. F9 - ~34M
  23. Mission: Impossible - Fallout - 33.8M
  24. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Lies - 32.9M
  25. Kong: Skull Island - 32.9M
  26. Godzilla vs Kong - 32.8M
  27. Bumblebee - 32M
  28. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - 31.9M
  29. xXx 3 - 31.0M
  30. Despicable Me 3 - 30M
  31. The Jungle Book - 29.1M
  32. Rampage - 28.9M
  33. Kung Fu Panda 3 - 28.3M
  34. The Great Wall - 27.9M
  35. The Meg - 27.4M
  36. Captain Marvel - 27.3M
  37. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - 26.5M
  38. Godzilla: King of the Monster - 25.9M
  39. Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 25.5M
  40. Interstellar - 25M

So 40 25M plus admits. The bold ones are record grosser.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

wonder if one day an American film will have more than 100 million admissions in China. Avengers Endgame really blew it all up in China, and yet it still lacked 15 million admissions (which is huge) to reach that milestone.

4 hours ago, LPLC said:

wonder if one day an American film will have more than 100 million admissions in China. Avengers Endgame really blew it all up in China, and yet it still lacked 15 million admissions (which is huge) to reach that milestone.

Yes, I believe it will come out December of next year.

Do You Want To Return Pandora? Check Out The Latest Updates Of Avatar 2 -  TheNationRoar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1