A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Are you with your 200-300 😉?

I was at 200-300?

I usually don't do predictions

a week out I thought/projected 35m PS, By default then- 120m OD, 400m OW, maybe a billion total. $145m

Right around TJB as I thought GZL getting close to KK

3 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

I was at 200-300?

I usually don't do predictions

a week out I thought/projected 35m PS, By default then- 120m OD, 400m OW, maybe a billion total. $145m

Right around TJB as I thought GZL getting close to KK

99,99% sure you did a 200-300 mill a couple of weeks ago where i qouted you 150-200 max...

8 hours ago, justvision said:

Nah, I know you said this cheekily. But let's play along with some different takes

1. temporal correlation does not mean causative correlation. This summer offerings are generally lacking in hype and quality. It can be postulated that if not for Endgame, most other movies would have done even worse. There is no way to prove one way or another
  2. Endgame excels in content, Avatar excelled in presentation/tech. Perhaps after Endgame, the audience's demand for quality films are somewhat increased, while after Avatar, those films that touted 3D (like AiW) benefited.

Uhmmm... I was being cheeky but I can’t let this slide. Avatar excelled in content. Endgame excelled at convincing everyone, including non-MCU fans like myself, to go to a crowded theater OW before they got spoiled, so they could be part of the conversation that nobody is having because the movie had nothing to say. They were reminded why they dislike going to theaters staffed by surly teens instead of being comfy and watching movies at home.

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

Uhmmm... I was being cheeky but I can’t let this slide. Avatar excelled in content. Endgame excelled at convincing everyone, including non-MCU fans like myself, to go to a crowded theater OW before they got spoiled, so they could be part of the conversation that nobody is having because the movie had nothing to say. They were reminded why they dislike going to theaters staffed by surly teens instead of being comfy and watching movies at home.

Seems like words coming from an EG hater and an Avatar stan. And lol at that "Avatar excelled in content".

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I can't let this slide either. You can absolutely stand fast in your personal views, and you will find no ridicule or disrespect from me on account of those views, but you cannot speak for "everyone". Ratings websites and box office grosses are surely imperfect measures of a film's quality or audience reception, but at the very least I believe they provide enough of an indication for me to tell you that you are clearly in the minority.

It's funny, in the course of two months I went from a casual MCU fan who enjoyed Endgame to someone who, more often than not, staunchly defends the movie. It seems a small but strong contingent of people believe they are entitled not only to their own opinions, but also those of "everyone". As a member of "everyone", I find this at least a little bit offensive

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

For both, Avatar and Endgame, content wasn't the main part of their success IMO. For both it was mainly spectacle, though I have to say - as much as I disliked Endgame - that (in this aspect) it was probably more revolutionary than Avatar (while Avatar was much more revolutionary with visuals).

Still, no one can argue that Endgame was this successful due to content. It's just because it being the culmination of the MCU IMO.

The bold part seems true though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aristis said:

For both, Avatar and Endgame, content wasn't the main part of their success IMO. For both it was mainly spectacle, though I have to say - as much as I disliked Endgame - that (in this aspect) it was probably more revolutionary than Avatar (while Avatar was much more revolutionary with visuals).

Still, no one can argue that Endgame was this successful due to content. It's just because it being the culmination of the MCU IMO.

Rush to avoid spoilers = wanting to experience the story without having it ruined = content. Avatar was successful because it gave people something they'd never seen before in a really beautiful and immersive way, hence Avatar was successful due to visuals/effects advancement. This is not a knock on Avatar, it absolutely earned its success and Endgame was nowhere near as revolutionary with visuals as it was. But Endgame's spectacle, while good, was barely highlighted or even shown in the marketing, wasn't a huge step forward technologically, and was definitely not the main draw for the movie. Endgame was successful because people wanted to see the endings of the characters they'd become attached to as well as the continuation of the story they saw in IW. Thus Endgame was successful due to its content/story.

Also, saying that "nobody was having a conversation about Endgame" is just completely wrong. It dominated discussions like I'd never seen before and pretty much everyone in my social circles wanted to talk about it after they'd seen it. In fact I'd say more people were having a conversation about Endgame than any other movie I've experienced.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Menor said:

Rush to avoid spoilers = wanting to experience the story without having it ruined = content.

I would have called that context cause any other movie with the same content would not have been that successful. It's the relation the MCU. But I'm OK with your definition.

24 minutes ago, Menor said:

Also, saying that "nobody was having a conversation about Endgame" is just completely wrong.

Didn't say that though you probably didn't adress me with that.

• Like 1

People weren’t talking about Endgame? How deep in your own circle jerk do you have to be to believe that? Of course the majority of people, as with most movies, weren’t discussing the deeper themes. But there was and still is a ton of discussion about the movie, its events, and repercussions. And most of all about how it succeeded in capping off eleven years of storytelling for many beloved characters. People regularly quote lines from Endgame just like they did and still do for Infinity War. It has had a cosmic-sized impact on pop culture just like Infinity War.

Edited by Doctor Stark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aristis said:

The bold part ("Endgame excelled at convincing everyone, including non-MCU fans like myself, to go to a crowded theater OW before they got spoiled") is true but not wholly true. We are talking total gross of Endgame here, the rush to avoid spoilers certainly had a major impact on OW, but then it goes on to leg out at least 2.3x, so it is not gimmick and tricks, it is its own merits that works wonder.

Anyway, it is CBO thread, I will stop here.

32 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

PS for Saturday stands at a solid 35m which is 30% higher than Friday PS. Maoyan score has also increased and stabilized at 9.0. Looking at a solid jump on Saturday of 40-50%

Is this for TLK or FFH?