A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, Asyulus said:

Doubt Doraemon will break out. Not alot of animated movies do well in China box office. Also, Doraemon is a Japanese franchise and property after all.

Plenty of Japanese animated films have done well in China. They are 2nd biggest consumer of anime in the world only behind Japan. 

Edited by eXtacy

20% drop for IW today. It seems that "How Long Will I Love You" breaking out is having some impact on IW, both in terms of showtimes and in terms of gross.

Presales will finish at 4m today, will do ~22M tomorrow and cross 2B.

Next weekend looking to do 105-125M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

It's not possible to say how Doraemon will affect IW, but Avengers ise already losing with this Chinese rom-com, so i think POTUS projections are too optimistic. 

yup, big hit for second tuesday, not doing 10-12% drops like FF8 and CA3. It will be closer to 350 not 360

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, POTUS said:

yup, big hit for second tuesday, not doing 10-12% drops like FF8 and CA3. It will be closer to 350 not 360

In my opinion 335 mln is optimistic target for this sunday, and another 15 mln after that day is even more optimistic target.

• Disbelief 2

In Jan 2016, TFA made 810m which was not a gargantuan number but still quite decent. And pre-release, the movie was definitely very hyped, enjoying a then huge 200m OD. Now, Solo is looking at an OD of just 20m, tenth of TFA's OD. That's ultrafast degeneration within 28 months. Safe to say that Star Wars have now lost all its appeal to general audience in China, becoming a franchise that only die-hard fans care about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

In Jan 2016, TFA made 810m which was not a gargantuan number but still quite decent. And pre-release, the movie was definitely very hyped, enjoying a then huge 200m OD. Now, Solo is looking at an OD of just 20m, tenth of TFA's OD. That's ultrafast degeneration within 28 months. Safe to say that Star Wars have now lost all its appeal to general audience in China, becoming a franchise that only die-hard fans care about.

How come TFA grossed so much when its appeal was limited in China? I mean 125m (TFA) looks huge for a franchisee thats seen a big decline within a span of 2.5 years??? :thinking:

6 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

How come TFA grossed so much when its appeal was limited in China? I mean 125m (TFA) looks huge for a franchisee thats seen a big decline within a span of 2.5 years??? :thinking:

Curiosity factor must have played a part. Same to a lesser extent with Black Panther. Every other region was caught in TFA's hype so it must have caught the GA in China's attention. They saw it they decided it was mostly not for them. I'm not sure how Star Wars can ever gain an audience in China without completely separating itself from the OT which would then risk alienating the traditional Star Wars markets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Curiosity factor must have played a part. Same to a lesser extent with Black Panther. Every other region was caught in TFA's hype so it must have caught the GA in China's attention. They saw it they decided it was mostly not for them. I'm not sure how Star Wars can ever gain an audience in China without completely separating itself from the OT which would then risk alienating the traditional Star Wars markets.

curiosity factor +1

Well I got to give it to the Hobbit trilogie. Lotr was also a more traditional market movie. And it didn't do what it was expected to do in 2012 with only $50m. But the second one did $75m (50% increase) and the last one did $122m dollar (64% increase). Wonder if more instalments would have increased even further. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, firedeep said:

So Ocean's Eight is confirmed not to get a release as WB think it would flop in China, i.e. unworthy.

Could it be worse than Solo? Warner Bros. should really learn the spirit of Disney, seeing how they treat Solo as a precious after the flop of The Last Jedi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1