A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Looks like of yesterday's three Valentine's Day releases, only 十年一品温如言 (Ten Years of Loving You) made a real impact, opening in first place with ¥143 million/~$23 million, knocking The Battle at Lake Changjin II from the top of the box office for the first time since release. Changjin II did okay for itself, though, earning ¥107 million, quite possibly its final day above the ¥100 million mark.* Changjin II is also now firmly entrenched in China's all-time top ten domestic grossers in ninth place. It has enough energy to get past eighth-place 红海行动 (Operation Red Sea) but seventh-place Avengers: Endgame is totally out of reach.

Ten Years of Loving You received a truly sad initial score of 7.3 on Maoyan, although as Maoyan scores are wont to do when free from political influence, that number is plummeting (presently at an utterly pitiful 6.9). Looks like everything's back to normal in the Chinese box office today as Changjin has returned to the top slot; Ten Years has slumped into fifth place. Thanks to Valentine's Day, the algorithm that predicts final box office tallies for all releases is currently going haywire, but should correct later tonight China time (Changjin II went from a projected tally under ¥3.8 billion to, as of current posting, ¥4.2 billion).

* fun fact for the forum— on Chinese box office apps like Maoyan, owing to the fact that written Chinese likes to abbreviate big numbers in sets of 10,000 instead of 1,000, most figures are reported in terms of 万元 (¥10,000) and 亿元 (¥100,000,000).

• Like 5

On 1/4/2022 at 5:17 PM, Issac Newton said:

On Dec 29, The test screening of Japanese Film was done in Beijing. But, the name is still unknown. 🥲

On Feb 12, 2022, 2nd Test Screening was done for Belle along with I felt in love like a flower bouquet in Shenzhen.

Earwig and the Witch got cancelled out.

Backlog like SAO remained undetermined. Evangelion 3.0+1.01: Thrice Upon A Time passed Censorship, pending dates and test screening.

I felt in love like a flower bouquet schedule for March 2022.

Doraemon: Space War 2021 &Detective Conan The Bride of Halloween Night might go for simultaneous release.

Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 has been sent for a review. I heard a release date to be determined within 14-days (though, Studio will not clash with Hollywood Biggies)

Regarding VOD

Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc is on review since Dec 2021, if it has passed then we will get an update on March 4 (Ufotable Shanghai)

• Thanks 1

I hope you linked that because you found it funny and you don't agree with it?

But the point of Oscar for NWH/NTTD was not that they made money, It's that if they saved Cinema Halls in times of Pandemic, for what it's worth.  So, Did they? How many Countries Cinema benefitted from that? 

Isn't his whole point absolutely moot anyway? Its already decided that it ain't getting OSCARs. 

Glancing at the Chinese release schedule for the next few weeks—

Friday Feb. 18, nothing of note

Saturday Feb. 19, 我们的冬奥 (Me and My Winter Olympics, 90-minute animated anthology featuring segments from some of China's top domestic franchises themed to the Winter Olympics; wouldn't expect a huge breakout as it's all very aimed at families with young children) and Death on the Nile

Friday Feb. 25, A Rainy Day in New York and nothing else of note

Saturday March 4, functionally empty

February so far is at ¥9.3ish billion (getting close to $1.5 billion USD), which is objectively a ton of money, but last February's ¥12.27 billion might be out of reach given that the Spring Festival releases don't have a ton of money left in them and the remaining releases announced for this month are… not impressive. Lurching into the realm of speculation, we could see a potentially big-ish movie announced for February 25 to try to boost grosses for the remainder of the month and make the year-on-year box office comparison less embarrassing. As ever, China is super unpredictable and release dates can be announced anywhere from more than a month in advance to less than 48 hours to go.

Thanks to Spring Festival's variable position within the calendar, yearly comparisons really only become possible with combined January/February grosses. So far, 2022 is at ¥12.0 billion. Keeping in mind that February's not over yet, the combined January/February grosses for previous years— 2021: ¥14.6 billion; 2020 N/A due to COVID; 2019 ¥14.5 billion; 2018 ¥15.1 billion; 2017 ¥11.1 billion; 2016 ¥10.7 billion.

• Thanks 2

Uncharted has been officially dated for Monday, March 14, so not at all day-and-date. Does look like Beijing's giving Sony some time to market the movie, though.

Also, moderately amused that Uncharted has been approved/scheduled and still no word whatsoever on No Way Home.

Edited by porginchina
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, porginchina said:

China has historically employed a zero-tolerance policy towards films that offend them (just look up their reactions to Kundun and Seven Years in Tibet back in the day); this is part of the reason why so many Hollywood movies are so sensitive to the suggestions of Chinese censors as the Chinese do not mess around when they get mad. Add in the fact that the Chinese government was always iffy about the decision to make a movie even partially inspired by the racist Shang-Chi comics of yore and behold! you have the current status quo with Marvel Studios.

Agree that Marvel shouldn't apologize as it would look awful everywhere else and cause more overall harm than benefit (and at the time they decided to hire Simu Liu and Chloe Zhao, both entertainers were totally okay politically in Beijing). My guess is that Marvel will eventually be forgiven, as many entertainment transgressors are; they've got huge brand awareness in China and can contribute solidly to helping the Chinese box office overtake the US/Canada (plus, for what it's worth, Shanghai Disneyland is forever rumored to be getting Marvel-themed expansions).

What about the drama between Chinese local bureau and Disney/Marvel that Western media put out last year? They said China did give Disney/Marvel a release date for BW but then Disney/Marvel refused because they were going to postpone BW's release date worldwide and they wanted to avoid ...spoilers. Did that incident really affect the relationship between Disney/Marvel and China?

14 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

@Issac Newtonfrom your view which had more hype/interest a year out in china between endgame and avatar 2?

I didn't understand your view well. Though, I would say that what ever year, Cameron films are releasing that year is the most interesting year. I love the drops that Cameron films had!! No analyst are clearly able to predict Avatar 2nd Weekend, though, many expected more than 50% but it was less than 1%.

Endgame was a different story because both DOM+China contribution has provided it the biggest Global Debut ($1.22B), though, I personally hated Endgame due to it's legs in DOM. Endgame was also my 1st MCU film, due to lots of missing plotline, I went to watch Black Widow. (I was a great fan of Spiderman, so I know RDJ very well. Till date, I have only watched Endgame, Black Widow &Eternals from MCU

Regardless, of my choice, Avatar 2 is one of my best expectations of the year from China. Though, next Spring Festival is on the end of January 2022 does make me worry. But, I believe in Cameron. He is my God-Like Figure. I never understood Hollywood, unless I watch Avatar on BD. I love his direction so much that I watched his entire directorial films. He is a man of great extra-ordinary personality, that everyone loves him. Nevermind if Avatar 2 has China in global opening that it will certainly defeat Endgame by a huge margin. Also, it isn't good to compare Cameron to Russo brothers. Because this man can turn impossible record to reality. A truly masterpiece &powerful man!!!

So my answer is Avatar 2!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Hello guys. I need some insight and help for my thesis. So before currently-ongoing 34 hollywood films quota for china box office, it was 20 from 2002 until 2011. Then 2012 US-China film Agreement ratified and the quota was increased to 34 per year up until now. So I want to make sure, did the 34 quota really start in 2012 which means that 2012 chinese box office saw 34 hollywood movies being released or did it start/come into effect in the later year like 2013 or forward which means there was still only 20 hollywood movies in 2012?

Also, can someone happened to have a website that contains the full list of film that released in china with the box office number in it from 2005-2019 (better if that list gives a clear difference between which one is hollywood and which one is chinese domestic production)? 

Or maybe a site that just necessarily put the list of only hollywood release in china alongside its China box office numbers from 2005-2019?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Claudio said:

Hello guys. I need some insight and help for my thesis. So before currently-ongoing 34 hollywood films quota for china box office, it was 20 from 2002 until 2011. Then 2012 US-China film Agreement ratified and the quota was increased to 34 per year up until now. So I want to make sure, did the 34 quota really start in 2012 which means that 2012 chinese box office saw 34 hollywood movies being released or did it start/come into effect in the later year like 2013 or forward which means there was still only 20 hollywood movies in 2012?

Also, can someone happened to have a website that contains the full list of film that released in china with the box office number in it from 2005-2019 (better if that list gives a clear difference between which one is hollywood and which one is chinese domestic production)? 

Or maybe a site that just necessarily put the list of only hollywood release in china alongside its China box office numbers from 2005-2019?

Thanks in advance.

There's no current quota for 34 films. The 34 film agreement expired in 2018 and was not renegotiated because of the leadership at the time hating China. The 34 film agreement was directly negotiated by then VPs Joe Biden and Xi Jinping.

So there's literally no pressure on China to even allow Hollywood movies in anymore as there's no contract or agreement in place requiring it.

• Thanks 3
  • Knock It Off 1

17 hours ago, grim22 said:

So there's literally no pressure on China to even allow Hollywood movies in anymore as there's no contract or agreement in place requiring it.

Then, why MCU fans are accusing CFA of defrauding the system. Any good reason? Or It's just because their favourite film isn't getting a release date?.. Just Curious about it

Edited by Issac Newton