A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Jurassic World 2 at 2:30pm was at around 130m and was doing about 22m per hour. Venom is around 145m doing about 26m per hour. 

JW2 doubled its 2:30 number and ended up with 265m as late evening was a bit slow for it. If Venom follows the same then it will end up with 290-300m for the day. 300+ is a safebet given Venom is doing better per hours than JW2

At this point it would take a spectacular crash on Sunday for this to miss 100m+ OW. Meaning 100+ is locked. It could possibly challenge JW2’s OW in local currency but may not in dollars due to a weaker ER right now. Still this is incredible considering JW2 had the advantage of a holiday weekend boosting its Sunday gross. And also considering this is freakinf Venom and literally no one saw this coming!

Venom looks to be heading for a 105-110m OW. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 3

9 minutes ago, a2k said:

Ur low-end beats the Dom total. Stunning story.

$220+ would lock $800 ww ($215 + $220 + $380 = $815 ww ... it's well over $800 so there's enough wiggle room)

It can beat Wonder Woman's and Thor3's global cume.

Thor 3 did 854m worldwide. Don’t think Venom will get there. 

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Jurassic World 2 at 2:30pm was at around 130m and was doing about 22m per hour. Venom is around 145m doing about 26m per hour. 

JW2 doubled its 2:30 number and ended up with 265m as late evening was a bit slow for it. If Venom follows the same then it will end up with 290-300m for the day. 300+ is a safebet given Venom is doing better per hours than JW2

At this point it would take a spectacular crash on Sunday for this to miss 100m+ OW. Meaning 100+ is locked. It could possibly challenge JW2’s OW in local currency but may not in dollars due to a weaker ER right now. Still this is incredible considering JW2 had the advantage of a holiday weekend boosting its Sunday gross. And also considering this is freakinf Venom and literally no one saw this coming!

Venom looks to be heading for a 105-110m OW. 

Even with 25% returns Venom gonna get $50+ from China when all is said and done. More than half it's prod budget (Of course it has recovered that Dom itself but worth noting. It will cover it's marketing and release costs too just from global theatrical revenu)

0.25*$200 + 0.55*$215 + 0.35*$380 = $301.25 .... with non-theatrical yet to come

(I hear OS-China returns are close to 40% but am using 35%)

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Thor 3 did 854m worldwide. Don’t think Venom will get there. 

ok, i thought it had beaten Wondy by a small margin but not so. yeah 840+ will be tough for Venom even on the high-end.

Edited by a2k

55 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Venom running at 24m p/h.  

It will clear 300m today if evening is strong again, maybe 320m.

$110m+ happening. 

It will reach $155m on thursday

New releases always get extra shows on OD.  FB2 will hit it on Friday but shows will adjust according to PTA on Saturday.  FB2 and V could be in battle for first around $40m for second weekend

If V holds -20% tomorrow and -60% on Monday it will do at least 2x OW.  $220-240m is the likely range for now

FB2 going to do more than 40M on his first weekend

15 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

FB is unlucky to meet Venom’a second weekend.

Honestly, Venom is average at best, but as China did not show films like sucide squad or deadpool, Venom type of anti-hero is very fresh for them and word of mouth is off the roof!

yeah. Meg recently showed a stunning hold in the 2nd weekend and Venom could surprise maybe to a smaller degree in the 2nd weekend. Even if doesn't put a Meg like rare hold, sub-60% seems likely for a $45+ 2nd weekend.

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Still this is incredible considering JW2 had the advantage of a holiday weekend boosting its Sunday gross. And also considering this is freakinf Venom and literally no one saw this coming!

Venom, I got that adrenaline momentum

Ever gonna slow up and I'm

Ready to snap any moment I'm

Thinkin' it's time to go get 'em

They ain't gonna know what hit 'em :Venom:

Edited by NamakFiskKa

7 hours ago, firedeep said:

Kevin Feige is the last person on the planet who is happy to see the success of Venom.

Bob Iger, the second last.

i dont think that mcu needs spiderman its great that venom is a succese but  i mean without homecoming mcu still made 17 billions 

Venom probably will have lots of showtimes on its second weekend when FB2 opens.

106 mins runtime is benefit of Venom. And FB2 has 134 mins. 

40% for FB2(daily 135k) & 30% for Venom(daily 100k) is possible.

Also FB2 pre-sale still doesn't looks very well at this point. I personally expect ¥300M on opening.

And Venom could match it by Ragnarok level drop(-60.1%) after a estimated ¥750M opening. But I intended to keep low expectation on Venom for preventing it from being seen as a flop in the next few days. But we do have a chance to see a exciting fight on the next weekend. Let's just keep an eye on Monday drop firstly.

5 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Venom probably will have lots of showtimes on its second weekend when FB2 opens.

106 mins runtime is benefit of Venom. And FB2 has 134 mins. 

40% for FB2(daily 135k) & 30% for Venom(daily 100k) is possible.

Also FB2 pre-sale still doesn't looks very well at this point. I personally expect ¥300M on opening.

And Venom could match it by Ragnarok level drop(-60.1%) after a estimated ¥750M opening. But I intended to keep low expectation on Venom for preventing it from being seen as a flop in the next few days. But we do have a chance to see a exciting fight on the next weekend. Let's just keep an eye on Monday drop firstly.

any idea why it does so well in china ?

7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

any idea why it does so well in china ?

hard to say I think. Talking with a theater manager, he believed most will finish seeing this movie on opening weekend because it’s has been more than two months since the last Hollywood blockbuster MI Fallout opened in China(it can be seen that Venom has a good date because it come in a right time). I just thought it could try beating AMATW after seeing it in HK and tracked it’s performance in everywhere for weeks. After the pre-sale started, I realized people really need a blockbuster. 

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

hard to say I think. Talking with a theater manager, he believed most will finish seeing this movie on opening weekend because it’s has been more than two months since the last Hollywood blockbuster MI Fallout opened in China(it can be seen that Venom has a good date because it come in a right time). I just thought it could try beating AMATW after seeing it in HK and tracked it’s performance in everywhere for weeks. After the pre-sale started, I realized people really need a blockbuster. 

i understand so homecoming could be bigger if planets of the apes hadnt release there after one week ? it finished with 112 million  and 60 million opening   big enough to hurt homecoming and homecoming finished with 116

Edited by john2000

56 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i understand so homecoming could be bigger if planets of the apes hadnt release there after one week ? it finished with 112 million  and 60 million opening   big enough to hurt homecoming and homecoming finished with 116

Yes Spiderman would have had a higher gross had Apes not opened right after.