A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

41 minutes ago, john2000 said:

any guess why superhero got bigger from 2018 until now i mean before i would have said that spiderman far from home would hit 120-130 and it maybe still hit that but now i wouldnt be suprised with a 150-160

My guess is Infinity War, like Avengers did in 2012. Both films have been the responsibles of these jumps.

I think that 1b Yuan (140-150 milion dollars) is very probable for every SH film from now, no matters the brand. Far from Home could manage even bigger than that. The jump is undeniable in the genre. It is just that we can expect big numbers from certain films. Endgame will probably repeat or even increase IW figures. Maybe we could see the first 3b Yuan Hollywood film. Who knows...

Edited by peludo

2 hours ago, LexJoker said:

DOM =/= US.

DOM=US+Canada.

Wolf Warrior 2 made more in China than TFA made in US.

On a sidenote, Indian movie Bahubali 2 sold more tickets in India than TFA did in US.

But on the flip side, WW2's gross is actually 5-6% smaller than what got reported (ticket fees) so TFA's US gross is still slightly higher. There's no comparison in terms of tickets sold though.

It is so funny that people start praising China audience taste when the movies they root for do extra-ordinarily better than rest of the world (and in the process saving or helping further the movie/franchise or making sequels more likely), and then start questioning their taste when the movies they root for do not pan out as well in China as they have hoped for.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

BTW, what if True Friday was 175 approx with Women's day bumping around 25-30%.

That 8.8 rating, 175 225 160, don't look that bad either. I am just saying.

that is, what I try to convey here and elsewhere see my last few posts.

3 hours ago, justvision said:

It is so funny that people start praising China audience taste when the movies they root for do extra-ordinarily better than rest of the world (and in the process saving or helping further the movie/franchise or making sequels more likely), and then start questioning their taste when the movies they root for do not pan out as well in China as they have hoped for.

whoever said that China audiences have good taste?

8 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Transformers, Warcraft, Fast and Furious, xXx, ahem.

Not great movies, I admit (I quite enjoyed Warcraft, F&F films are the same kind of popcorn films than MCU, even if you don't like them)

And may that be clear : I am certainly not saying MCU films are bad..  I will never criticize movies that I don't see (last MCU films seen : Galaxy #1 (because of my nephew)  and... Iron Man 2 (no Avengers, Captain America, Thor, etc)

I am just feeling sad than the same kind of unoriginal movies fill the top 10 domestic, years after years.

Studios will be less and less willing to produce original stuff and will make Disney of themselves : remaking, rebooting, re-imagining (!) the same movies  

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, sgrave said:

Not great movies, I admit (I quite enjoyed Warcraft, F&F films are the same kind of popcorn films than MCU, even if you don't like them)

And may that be clear : I am certainly not saying MCU films are bad..  I will never criticize movies that I don't see (last MCU films seen : Galaxy #1 (because of my nephew)  and... Iron Man 2 (no Avengers, Captain America, Thor, etc)

I am just feeling sad than the same kind of unoriginal movies fill the top 10 domestic, years after years.

Studios will be less and less willing to produce original stuff and will make Disney of themselves : remaking, rebooting, re-imagining (!) the same movies  

After the Fox merger, I'm quite confident that Disney will have a lot of original movies, and Oscar-caliber films too. That's mainly because of Fox Searchlight. Lol

3 minutes ago, sgrave said:

don't blame the studios, blame the general audience who doesn't want to see "original movies".

• Like 3

You can’t really just pick and choose some movies to try and show whether a country has good taste or not. I mean I’m from the states and I see a lot of posters from English speaking countries talk about how China has bad taste because they like certain movies but I could literally do that for English speaking countries as well. Having said that, it’s clear that Chinese audiences have different taste than other countries but we can say that about every country. But that doesn’t mean their taste is worse than other countries. And by saying they have bad taste because they like certain movies just gives off an elitist vibe as if the countries we are all from haven’t propelled mediocre movies to great box office results too. The world has 6B+ people in it and depending on where you grew up, your taste in things will be different whether it’s music, movies, food etc Shocking, right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

don't blame the studios, blame the general audience who doesn't want to see "original movies".

Bingo. Studios release and market original films every weekend. Audiences just aren’t bothering to watch them. But that doesn’t mean studios aren’t releasing original content (and more times than not it’s quality content too) 

• Like 2

zootipia in 2016, coco in 2017, rpo in 2018, green book so far in 2019 .... legging it great in china. idea of 'bad' movies doing well in china at cost of 'good' movies is pretty silly. 

i don't agree with us/can performances many times. smh's $334 dom was 56% higher than venom's $213.5 dom. i don't get that either. didn't find smh more entertaining. venom doing 2.15x smh  in china was helpful in negating what i though was a dom underperformance.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Bingo. Studios release and market original films every weekend. Audiences just aren’t bothering to watch them. But that doesn’t mean studios aren’t releasing original content (and more times than not it’s quality content too) 

For sure we don't have to blame studios, but general audience.  We still see original movies (more and more in arthouses circuits, less and less in big multiplexes...)

Serioulsly, do you think studios will continue to put money and energy in original movies (specially tentpole... look what happened to Edge of Tomorrow...)  like they did in the past years?

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

MCU solo opening is becoming more unpredictable than usual even if we have reliable pre-sale numbers & audience score. I would suggest "ignoring" MCU pre-sale performance except Endgame in the future...

any idea when endgame will release there ? also i hope that they wont put endgame and detective pikachu very close a 3 week gap will be good

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

any idea when endgame will release there ? also i hope that they wont put endgame and detective pikachu very close a 3 week gap will be good

Endgame May.3 or May.10. Detective Pikachu probably will come a week later no matter which date for Endgame.

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Endgame May.3 or May.10. Detective Pikachu probably will come a week later no matter which date for Endgame.

Do you think this will limit the potential of both films? It seems like the screen sharing will be an issue. 

4 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

i hope like iw they will put may 3 more time to breath also goa are they crazy ? endgame could hit 350-400 and dp could hit 300 why put it so close