A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I had a bad feeling about Venom 2 since almost 2 months passed without news of a release date. It's a shame since earlier this year, most believed it had $300+ million potential in China. Reading a bit deeper, it appears there is some controversy about a derogatory remark Tom Hardy used in an interview back in 2012. I wonder why it is only blowing up now though.

EDIT: Source https://inf.news/en/entertainment/fe138790bb8278fd5f8d0fbff5b25df7.html

Edited by KP1025
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

Venom 2 is not officially banned. It just do not have a release window before January 2022. (Which in turn might cancel theatrical release in Mainland China.)

Spoiler

Anti-Venom fans &International media might be enjoying because they considered Venom as a garbage film.

On the Other hand, NWH is delayed by five weeks from Worldwide premiere. Piracy finally got a great film to do business costing millions. (Especially for Mainland Chinese audience). I hopefully expect a better than FFH but Chinese New Year is near and may not get extended theatrical release.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Venom 2 is not officially banned. It just do not have a release window before January 2022. (Which in turn might cancel theatrical release in Mainland China.)

Hide contents

Anti-Venom fans &International media might be enjoying because they considered Venom as a garbage film.

On the Other hand, NWH is delayed by five weeks from Worldwide premiere. Piracy finally got a great film to do business costing millions. (Especially for Mainland Chinese audience). I hopefully expect a better than FFH but Chinese New Year is near and may not get extended theatrical release.

Agreed. NWH, being released on Jan 14th, it will only have 17 days until CNY arrives and it will lose 99.99% of screens. Add the delay with the WW release and you can forget huge business for it in China.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, peludo said:

Agreed. NWH, being released on Jan 14th, it will only have 17 days until CNY arrives and it will lose 99.99% of screens. Add the delay with the WW release and you can forget huge business for it in China.

17 days are enough. FFH did 94% of its business in 17 days.

• Thanks 1

Having watched Venom 2 now, there is literally nothing in the film that can lead to banning. And technically it isn't banned, just that China isn't gonna allow it to release before February and release post that seems unlikely or what's even point with HD prints out today.

That makes me wonder if NWH will release, sorta of surprised considering how China Film Board is behaving like a baby.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Having watched Venom 2 now, there is literally nothing in the film that can lead to banning. And technically it isn't banned, just that China isn't gonna allow it to release before February and release post that seems unlikely or what's even point with HD prints out today.

That makes me wonder if NWH will release, sorta of surprised considering how China Film Board is behaving like a baby.

A friend of mine that used to operate in China theorised the government have a stance against fan-driven properties rather than having an anti MCU position. Apparently they’ve taken action against Celebrities, K-pop stars, TV talent shows, and he thinks Superheroes have fallen under that remit.

• Like 2

They have never made any official banning statement about SC and Eternals either. They just simply don't let it get screened. We can only speculate that these 2 got "banned" because of SC's controversial origin, Simu's online drama, and Chloe Zhao's relationship with CCP. I get why they "banned" Venom 2, Eddie and Venom is a gay couple in every universe, they also had a symbiote child in the comic.

18 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Could be, hopefully not though

43 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

17 days are enough. FFH did 94% of its business in 17 days.

Yes, you are right. I had doubts about if the behaviour of the market is as usual 15 days before the biggest period of the year. I thought people could save some money for CNY releases, but it seems that does not happen. I have been searching for relevant HLW films released a so short time before CNY. I have found these:

2014: Despicable me 2: 324m (released 21 days before CNY)

2015: Hobbit 3: 765m (28)

2016: Kung Fu Panda 3: 1b (16)

2017: Rogue One: 477m (21)

2017: Passengers: 315m (14)

2018: The maze runner 3: 315m (21)

2019: Bumblebee: 1.15b (32)

All of them are figures that we can asume as normal for this titles. So, in this case, just piracy (5 weeks is a long time) could hurt NWH.

• Thanks 1