28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Black Swan

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

One of my favourite films from the last years. Nobody seems to do those simple psycho-thrillers anymore which were around when I grew up (and had to watch them on TV when my parents were out) - and here is one of them, and one of the best: A good old thriller, without any superfluous side-stories or characters or hinted-at deeper meanings, but with: A gorgeous soundtrack, beautiful photography (hope Libatique gets his Oscar someday, not only for Black Swan) and tight direction. Plus Natalie Portman in her most intense role ... superb. Vincent Cassel and Mila Kunis stand their own against her fury, great performances too. Winona Ryder and Barbara Hershey shine. Aronofsky seems to be able to drive his actors to optimum performances.Highly recommende, and: This makes a fine duo with "The Wrestler" for a beer-sodden home video evening!

• Like 1

I think Aronofsky's goal here was to see if he could make Oscar bait out of what's really just a schlocky horror film. I will give this film credit for its disturbing visuals and I think Portman's performance was worth the praise, but it becomes less and less believable as a serious character study by the end.

B+

B. It's not really the sort of movie I enjoy typically, but I still liked it. I found the plot a bit confusing and I think a second watch would help clear it all up. I got the definite impression that most/all of the things took place in her (Nina's?) mind.

I dont think it ever gets quite as intense as I would have hoped, but Natalie Portman as the tragically repressed main character is stunning and the bit where she pulls the skin of her finger is one of the most effective cringe moments i've seen4/5

Edited by Jack Nevada

A brilliant film. The cinematography and editing is fantastic not just because of the look that it provides, but because it beautifully blends Portman's world with her actual mind. I loved the music as well, really added tension to already great scenes. The arch is predictable, but this movie is beautiful in how it builds that arch.3.5/4