35 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Rocky

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Great movie and great story. One of the best underdog movies out there. It also is one of the few movies then that didn't have the "good guy" win at the end. But it still has a happy endinig.

Being from Philly, I have that connection too. :P Nice to run the stairs from time to time. ;)

A+

• Like 1

A real classic. I'm no friend of boxing myself or of sports films as a genre but this is one of the best feel-good films ever. The underdog card played right. This and Rambo highlight Stallones talents; sadly in both cases the themes were perverted or chewed to death in numerous more or less unnecessary sequels.

• Like 1

One of my favorites, definitely in my top 10, great performances, great acting and a great story, and the overall feel good tone make it one of the best sports movies ever. This movie also gives me a lot of motivation to go workout and just keep going.A

• Like 3

The first movie that changed my life.  This, even more than Star Wars made me fall in love with movies.  Stallone is an icon and he will always be my favourite actor.  He wrote one of if not the most beautiful script of all time and it is absolutely criminal that this did not win best original screenplay.  

I love Rocky in ways that cannot be described in words.  It's one of a very few films that are transcendental.  It's more than a film to me.

10/10

• Like 6

A real classic. I'm no friend of boxing myself or of sports films as a genre but this is one of the best feel-good films ever.

Yes, one of the best. And it is much more than a sports movie, as I am watching it right now, and I am 70 minutes of 120 minutes into the film, and there had been only one quick 1 minute boxing fight to open the film.Just a pretty good romance, coming of age, underdog movie that raises up to a great boxing training movie in the last quarter.

Saw it for the first time; really enjoyed it. It started a bit slow, but overall, it was really freaking good. Awesome ending too. A+

If anyone is mostly looking for the action in the movie, fast forward to the 90 minute mark of the 120 minute movie.

Interesting ending....Apollo only cares about the decision and no rematch, while rocky only cares about ADRIAN!!! At the end of the fight.And onto Rocky 2, another classic!And I treated up a little at the end.End. But what a great movie!

• Like 1

I was like that critic in Birdman, ready to tear this apart. I hate underdog sport movies and Sylvester Stallone as an actor.

Fortunately, I was surprised by how different it was from what I thought it would be. It had substance, much more than just a boxing movie.

the highlights were the pretty good characters and a montage that has yet to be matched. The low points were the last fight, very anticlimactic and a not very well staged fight.

75/100 maybe 80/100

I've often found boxing films to be dull. After all, they all follow the same basic arc, and usually, the actual boxing in them is kept to a minimum and/or shot poorly. However, Rocky gets it right. The smartest thing Stallone does with the script is not even mention the big fight until an hour into the movie. This allows to fall in love with Rocky Balboa as a person, not as a fighter. The supporting cast is all around pretty great, although none of them get standout scenes until the second half. Stallone's performance is legendary, and one has to wonder how his career would've turned out as a character actor instead of an action star. The end fight is marvelously shot, and exhilarating even on rewatches. Rocky is a classic through and through. A

• Like 2