1. 1. Grade Star Wars

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Star Wars Marathon

Episode IV - A New Hope

Loved the first 40 minutes, A+ material, but unfortunately it goes downhill after that. I thought that the movie could end in a high note when Hans and Luke rescued Leia, but nooo, they had to add one last space battle, a lifeless and monotonous space battle that is.

Original score: B (73)

New score: C+ (60)

one perfect scene for a very flawed movie.

Edited by Goffe Rises

i haven't commented in this thread?

i get why people might like spielberg. his movies are slick and his directing is fine enough. whatever.

i don't get this. it doesn't even succeed on an entertainment level, or at least that's what i would have picked. but clearly it does for a lot of people.

D-

It's very very true. I recall reading or hearing somewhere that, since Williams was hired very late, Lucas at one point put together an edit of the movie with no music and screened it, and it was disastrous. Watching the film today (and I still love it), I can believe that story.

All that tension and Drama with Luke being chased down Vader.

really? the chase could be revolutionary for it's time, but now is just terrible, you can't make some good space action without decent effects. I think there must be some nostalgia evolved to like this movie, it's even more laughable when a person say how revolutionary SW was back then to say how good the film is.

The editing for the Battle of Yavin IV and the trench run is superb. It's of the best action sequences ever, a perfect melding of score, pacing, sound design, and (yes) VFX. It's slightly tarnished now by the partial inclusion of the SE shots (which don't fit the aesthetic of the original piece) but it remains absolutely stellar to this day.

• Like 10

The editing for the Battle of Yavin IV and the trench run is superb. It's of the best action sequences ever, a perfect melding of score, pacing, sound design, and (yes) VFX. It's slightly tarnished now by the partial inclusion of the SE shots (which don't fit the aesthetic of the original piece) but it remains absolutely stellar to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlRnAa1NtBc

• Like 1

really? the chase could be revolutionary for it's time, but now is just terrible, you can't make some good space action without decent effects. I think there must be some nostalgia evolved to like this movie, it's even more laughable when a person say how revolutionary SW was back then to say how good the film is.

I disagree certain action scenes may look dated but still are great due to the characters expressions, all the tensions and of course the music.

Also as seen with TF3 you can have great looking action but if its not edited well its not as entertaining and the Trench Run in SW is very well put together.

To me Indiana Jones action is of a fun nature well ahead of similar style movies made today. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

we get a bunch pilots that we just met and I couldn't care less. We see the bad ass Darth Vader piloting a spaceship, have you paid attention to how Vader pilots the spaceship? it's just laughable. I just  :rolleyes: when the two first attempts to hit the target doesn't work.

Edited by Goffe