79 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Star Wars

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Average and mediocre film. Some cool shots (the iconic two suns is awesome) but it's otherwise really meh with some fucking ridiculous dialogue and creatures.

C

If i remeber correctly, Noctis ranked ROTS higher right?

• Like 1

Some people think the movie is dated but imo its like Indiana Jones 1.

Timeless fun action blockbuster.

Likeable characters, easy to follow and cool story and some really enjoyable action scenes. 

Trench Run is a great action scene. 

• Like 1

In terms of the pilots -- you're right, we know nothing about them. They're cannon fodder, but that's not the point. The point is the time it takes for them to try to make the assault versus the time for the Death Star to clear the planet and blast the moon. It's not that we should be so invested in the characters of the pilots, it's that we care about Leia and the droids. What the collective failures of the various X-Wing and Y-Wing assaults show is how hard -- near-impossible -- the actual trench run is and how basically it's a Hail Mary to try and stop the Empire. You need a special pilot, one who can use the Force to heighten his abilities.... and fortunately, of course, Luke is there and ready to give it a try.

The trench run sequence is brilliant for any number of reasons: it's a classic example of using a countdown/timer to heighten suspense. It completes the arcs of several characters through their actions: Han decides to put aside his selfish attitude and help save his friends, Luke finally is able to embrace the mystical concept of the Force and not rely on technology, even Artoo has a heroic/sacrificial moment where he's able to re-route shields as he's fried by Vader's lasers. In addition to all that, it's really crisply edited: there's not a wasted moment and it builds steadily in tension and pacing to the big conclusion (and release). You could break it down shot-by-shot and use it as a master course in how to construct an action sequence... and indeed many have.

I'm not quite sure what's funny about Vader's piloting.

Rewatched it last night and this x10000000

Its a beast of a movie and its perfectly paced/structured. 

I'd give it an A (97)

• Like 1

Watched it again last night, still an A+ and one of my top 10 movies of all time. This and Empire are 2 of the best structured and paced movies in history, thats a fact. 

The editing is honestly jaw dropping, the battle of Yavin as has been stated before, is one of the best set pieces ever and the best of the Star Wars films. THAT music too, when they escape the Death Star and have to destroy the Tie Fighters :wub:

Edited by Jay Salahi
  • Like 3

Arguably the most influential film of all time, how does Star Wars hold up? Extremely well. Unfortunately, I only had possession of the Special Edition, but it's easy to ignore that gunk and enjoy the economic worldbuilding and storytelling going on. At only two hours long, the film still feels like an epic, full of starmaking performances and wonderful special effects. You can't single out anyone as Hamill, Fisher, and Ford all perfectly embody their characters and make them iconic. The fights are great, although the ending dogfight might be a tad overlong. John Williams' score is astounding and I have to imagine what it would've been like back in 1977 to hear it for the first time. Star Wars is a classic, and I can't really add much that hasn't already been said about it. A+

• Like 2