79 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Star Wars

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I disagree certain action scenes may look dated but still are great due to the characters expressions, all the tensions and of course the music.

Also as seen with TF3 you can have great looking action but if its not edited well its not as entertaining and the Trench Run in SW is very well put together.

To me Indiana Jones action is of a fun nature well ahead of similar style movies made today. 

Man, compare to a good action film, not to some trash like TF3.

we get a bunch pilots that we just met and I couldn't care less. We see the bad ass Darth Vader piloting a spaceship, have you paid attention to how Vader pilots the spaceship? it's just laughable. I just  :rolleyes: when the two first attempts to hit the target doesn't work.

In terms of the pilots -- you're right, we know nothing about them. They're cannon fodder, but that's not the point. The point is the time it takes for them to try to make the assault versus the time for the Death Star to clear the planet and blast the moon. It's not that we should be so invested in the characters of the pilots, it's that we care about Leia and the droids. What the collective failures of the various X-Wing and Y-Wing assaults show is how hard -- near-impossible -- the actual trench run is and how basically it's a Hail Mary to try and stop the Empire. You need a special pilot, one who can use the Force to heighten his abilities.... and fortunately, of course, Luke is there and ready to give it a try.

The trench run sequence is brilliant for any number of reasons: it's a classic example of using a countdown/timer to heighten suspense. It completes the arcs of several characters through their actions: Han decides to put aside his selfish attitude and help save his friends, Luke finally is able to embrace the mystical concept of the Force and not rely on technology, even Artoo has a heroic/sacrificial moment where he's able to re-route shields as he's fried by Vader's lasers. In addition to all that, it's really crisply edited: there's not a wasted moment and it builds steadily in tension and pacing to the big conclusion (and release). You could break it down shot-by-shot and use it as a master course in how to construct an action sequence... and indeed many have.

I'm not quite sure what's funny about Vader's piloting.

• Like 13

i haven't commented in this thread?

i get why people might like spielberg. his movies are slick and his directing is fine enough. whatever.

i don't get this. it doesn't even succeed on an entertainment level, or at least that's what i would have picked. but clearly it does for a lot of people.

D-

The Lion King: C

Jurrasic Park: D

and now Star Wars: D-

No disrepect, but I wonder if you have another review that will piss of more people than your Star Wars one. :lol:

• Like 5

Most nights I put a movie on to fall asleep to.  Many nights, that movie ends up being JAWS.  

But last night I put on this one.  I won't gush about it because it's been said 100000000X before.  But this is just magic.  It's flawless from start to finish.  And as much as Guiness didn't understand what he was saying, he certainly gives it his all in the film.  Such a great performance.

• Like 7

Finally I got the time and push enough to get up from my lazy ass and watch this trilogy.

I don’t know many people that have seen these movies and the only place I hear about them are in this forum and the love for it is damn high and its influence it had on the many movies that came after them and I can happily say now that I do understand why it’s so loved and highly thought off. I have only seen the first one now and don’t worry I am going to watch the rest of them and going to put up my own reviews of the movies in their respective threads.

I had high expectations as you can see from what I wrote above and I thought there was no way it was going to surprise me and put me in the love group, but it was all I read and heard and I want more after the first viewing. The visual effects might seem outdated for someone who is watching them right now at the age of 23 for the first time, but looking back 5 years ago or just last year I can find movies with more budget and worse visual effects. And this movie is from 1977 and I am sure in that era it looked really great and they look refreshingly awesome now with bluray version. The characters are awesome and I loved them all, but my favorites are the 2 droids, especially 3PO. They take every dark/not so serious moment and give us some little fun to live through them in one piece. I would have loved if they had more scenes and lines of Han Solo, as he was my favorite human character. Luke was just a little off to me in some way and I liked the conversations between the princess and Han.

As for the story, it was perfect and kept everything floating as they should and there were some plot holes, but they took nothing out of the movies quality story telling. And Darth lacked more scenes in him as I am in love with him and the voice was just perfectly menacing and it created an iconic character.

SO to make this short I loved it and it deserves A+, I just hope that Empire can kick its ass, as it’s said to be the best of the trilogy.    

Sorry for the bad set up and grammar. 

Edited by CrispyLips
  • Like 6

Awesomesauce.

In terms of sheer editing skill and musical accompaniment, the Battle of Yavin is the best setpiece in the whole franchise. There's not a  single wasted shot or note of music.

• Like 4