79 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Star Wars

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

40 minutes ago, baumer said:

Watched it for the first time in two years.  Still magical.  Doesn't look like a film that's 40 years old.

Agreed.  I think it affected me so much that when I get a tattoo it is going to be something Star Wars related 

• Like 2

I give Star Wars (1977) an A.
But I give Star Wars: A New Hope (1980-) an A-.

It's the weakest link of the saga (along with the anticlimactic ROTJ) -- just an adventure movie with two three scenes wherein George Lucas real vision, ambitions, and ideas really shows. It's still a classic because of its editing, pacing, framing and (duh!) effects. And the actors are great in true B-list fashion! It's almost like watching SINGING IN THE RAIN or DUCK SOUP in space. 

But after watching EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and The Prequels (and even ROGUE ONE) you realize how big and universal the themes of Star Wars can be, and this part of the only takes short notes of what growing up means. 

I saw this when I was probably 7 years old around Christmas time, probably the perfect age to watch it. It truly captured my imagination at the time and made me an instant fan of the series. I still have a great time whenever I watch the film. A blockbuster classic that lives up to its reputation.

A+

Edited by Rorschach