79 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Star Wars

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Lame rip-off of Hidden Fortress. 

Aaaaanyway...  Pretty much the defining cinema memory of my early childhood. Saw it at the Houston Galleria opening night at age 7.  Clearly recall sitting in the front row after waiting 4 hours in various lines to get in and when the Star Destroyer zoomed by overhead, it really seemed to zoom by overhead.  Pretty much sat there slack-jawed in awe for the duration of the film.

A+

• Like 2

Simply put...

One of the most Entertaining and popular films of all time...

The effect this film had on filmaking and on modern pop culture is massive.

I saw this movie first back in 1998 when I was ten on the Special Release VHS my parents bought me.

Lol in about a month I watched all the films over a dozen times..

I always liked ANH and ROTJ more as a kid, but over time I realized ESB is the best.

• Like 2

It's corny as hell and awesome in spite of (because of) that. Seriously under-rated (these days) when it comes to story economy and editing -- it's perfectly paced, unlike other films in the franchise.

Also, like any original film that jump-starts an entire universe, extra points for the whole damn concept.

• Like 5

I was too young to see this on the big screen when it came out (at least my father thought so), so my intro to the StarWars world was Empire. But Star Wars is a very good and entertaining film too, and even if many of its themes are more fantasy than SF, the power lies in the images. They're simply magical! From the Star Destroyer entering the screen from the top to the seedy Mos Eisley bar, from the funny robots to the Millenium Falcon, from the Double Sunset to the Deathstar attack, this film is filled with fantastic images which let us gladly overlook any cheesiness ore plotholes or whatever. If you grew up with Jim Burns' and Chris Foss' covers for SF paperbacks, Star Wars is a dream come true and alive.

btw, last week Austrian daily "Die Presse" featured a fashion photo shoot done in the StarWars sets of Tunesien town Tataouine - yes, they're still standing :)

Edited by IndustriousAngel