Robertron

Favourite Box Office Period

Basically just a thread to talk about your favourite 'periods' of Box Office.Not so much favourite moment (eg Avengers OW) but a time frame - ill start with mine. Also, it could be a factor that the box office made the forums a better place to be which added to it - whatever reason, it doesn't matter.My favourite time has to be July 2009 - Mar 2010.That was my first true box office experience and when a CRAPLOAD of records got destroyed.I witnessed HUUUUGE openings on the DOM front with everyone's favourite TF2 :P and New Moons OW coming out of nowhere.And of course I can't forget to mention Avatar - still to this day (actually just before this) I still go back to Mojo and read through the weekend reports from its opening, onwards. (And who could forget our mate Kal)After New Moon and TF2, my favourite OW in that period would have to be Alice - NOBODY expected it to make as much as it did!Also, there was a whole string of monster OS hits and Avatar really paved the way for smaller films to make big bucks - really restored faith in the BO (only to see attendance crumble in 2010).What do you guys think?

• Like 2

And of course I can't forget to mention Avatar - still to this day (actually just before this) I still go back to Mojo and read through the weekend reports from its opening, onwards. (And who could forget our mate Kal)

lol, I did that two days ago. Avatar was so much fun to follow daily. The december holiday period in 2011 was also great to watch because of the unique nature of Ghost Protocol's release.

I agree with Robertron and Lab, July 07-Mar 10 and Jan 12-Mar12 were awesome times for the box office. I think they were probably the only really exciting times for me since starting to track box office. Everything else has been just kind of dull since I wasn't really a big fan of Avengers or DH2.

Easily from May 2002 to September 2002. Spider-Man's OW and run(plus it vs AOTC) was what got me interested in box office in the first place.Second would be May 2008 through Feb 2009. Iron Man and TDK.

The ones I tracked personally:

July-Sept 2006 (DMC domination & Little Miss Sunshine demonstrating the power of a platform release with great WOM)

Summer 2007 (3 $100m OWs in May, Transformers outgrossing AWE, The Bourne Ultimatum reaching its well-deserved heights)

Dec 2007 - Feb 2008 (I Am Legend & Alvin breakout, No Country for Old Men in platform)

July 2008 - TDK and the culmination of IM/IJ4 race for the second place

May-June 2009 (Star Trek, Up and The Hangover)

Dec 2009 - Feb 2010 (you know what I mean)

Sept 2010 - Feb 2011 adult drama/thriller domination (The Town, The Social Network, The King's Speech, Black Swan, The Fighter, True Grit)

Jan-March 2012 (expectations were beat practically every other weekend... box-office totally felt freaking alive)

• Like 1

- Christmas 2001 and 2002: HP vs LOTR. I started to follow box office with this battles.- Summer 2002: Spiderman- July 2008: TDK- Avatar- Summer 2011: Overseas explosion with DH2, POTC4 and TF3- Summer 2012: Both Avengers and TDKR. It is curious how most of us are a bit dissapointing with a movie that has done nearly 1.1 billion.- Skyfall: Absolutely astonishing. I am really enjoying it.

1999 May-July"The Phantom Menace". I remember checking the numbers in July to see if it would beat Titanic for fastest to $400m - alas it fell one day short.2012 May-October- "The Avengers": The first movie that I pretty much tracked every day in it's entire run :) And it's the movie that got me to join this forum.- "TDKR": I'm not a huge fan, but I was very curious to see what it's opening weekend numbers would be and if it would challenge The Avengers.

- December 1997 to September 1997: Titanic's historic run. I remember it well, how almost all the media publications grossly underestimated what Titanic would do at the box office. Many thought that James Cameron had lost his mind making a $200 million dollar disaster/romantic movie and that the movie would tank badly. On opening weekend it opened number one with $28.6 million barely beating out Tomorrow Never Dies, but with an opening like that it didn't good for making profit on a $200 million budget. When Titanic's 2nd weekend increased to $35 million opinions started to change and the magic began. After that, week-after-week Titanic kept chugging away, barely budging from that $25m-$30m range and the movie kept surging past milestones. What a time it was tracking Titanic's box office run as it happened. It wouldn't be until Avatar was released over a decade later that we would see a box office run like that.

• Like 7

- December 1997 to September 1997: Titanic's historic run. I remember it well, how almost all the media publications grossly underestimated what Titanic would do at the box office. Many thought that James Cameron had lost his mind making a $200 million dollar disaster/romantic movie and that the movie would tank badly. On opening weekend it opened number one with $28.6 million barely beating out Tomorrow Never Dies, but with an opening like that it didn't good for making profit on a $200 million budget. When Titanic's 2nd weekend increased to $35 million opinions started to change and the magic began. After that, week-after-week Titanic kept chugging away, barely budging from that $25m-$30m range and the movie kept surging past milestones.What a time it was tracking Titanic's box office run as it happened. It wouldn't be until Avatar was released over a decade later that we would see a box office run like that.

Titanic is the only reason I know the movie Lost in Space exists.

- December 1997 to September 1997: Titanic's historic run. I remember it well, how almost all the media publications grossly underestimated what Titanic would do at the box office. Many thought that James Cameron had lost his mind making a $200 million dollar disaster/romantic movie and that the movie would tank badly. On opening weekend it opened number one with $28.6 million barely beating out Tomorrow Never Dies, but with an opening like that it didn't good for making profit on a $200 million budget. When Titanic's 2nd weekend increased to $35 million opinions started to change and the magic began. After that, week-after-week Titanic kept chugging away, barely budging from that $25m-$30m range and the movie kept surging past milestones.What a time it was tracking Titanic's box office run as it happened. It wouldn't be until Avatar was released over a decade later that we would see a box office run like that.

Lol, and the Celine Dion song was everywhere as well. The media/radio attention that song got was hilarious.

January 2009 through April 2010. It was just one piece of box office craziness right after another. Paul Blart, Taken, Friday the 13th's record-setting plummet rate, Fast & Furious smashing the April opening record, Star Trek kicking ass, Up making up for the relative lightness of Ratatouille and WALL-E with a really big run, The Hangover, The Proposal, Transformers being fudged to $200 million in five days, District 9 and Inglourious Basterds breaking out over consecutive weekends, the out-of-friggin'-nowhere success of Paranormal Activity, New Moon making more in one day than Twilight did in its entire opening weekend, The Blind Side, Avatar, the jaw-droppingly humongous Christmas and New Year's weekends, Dear John breaking out and ending Avatar's reign, that insane President's Day weekend in 2010, Shutter Island breaking out, Alice in Wonderland obliterating all expectations, and finally How to Train Your Dragon having enough staying power to return to #1 - this several weeks after people wrote it off as a disappointment after its opening weekend.Or, in fewer words, we had: insane breakouts, the highest-grossing movie in box office history, several of the biggest individual weekends on record, and at least one new movie that grossed $100 million in each month except for February 2009 and January 2010.If the "That Shit Cray" meme had been around at the time, it would have been an apt descriptor of most of that 16-month period.

• Like 1

Lol, and the Celine Dion song was everywhere as well. The media/radio attention that song got was hilarious.

LOL I remember that. I mean, literally everywhere I went, I heard this song. I remember even in a fvcking book store where it was supposed to be silent, the store owner was playing that song.
  • Like 1

1980 - 1993I was 5 years old in 1980 and that's about as far back as I can remember first going to the movies. 1993 was the year Jurassic Park came out. During this time period some of the greatest movies ever were released and I saw a lot of them in theaters.As far as following box office goes:97/98 - TitanicSummer '99 - TPMThose two movies are most responsible for me following box office.