Moviedweeb

Worst theater experience?

This is totally inspired by Wadey Wilsoney's thread.

What are some of your worst in theater experiences?

Recently, I saw Life of Pi and was very distracted by the women next to me who was consistently eating popcorn, one bite at a time, for literally 2/3rds of the movie. It was incredibly annoying and I kept considering whether I should say--are you going to be feeding for the entire movie? or With all do respect, your eating is incredibly distracting? or Don't you think you have had enough popcorn? What was even more irritating, is that she ate throughout the most disturbing parts of the film. She ate through death and heartbreak. She ate when the movie was happy, she ate when it was sad. She just kept eating at the same slow, consistent pace and it was incredibly frusterating. Funny looking back on it but some people...

Edited by Clavius

Transformers 3. I had the worst bunch of irritating mother fucking kids behind me. Every 2 seconds they felt the need to switch seats or start talking or or texting or eating like the fucking animals they are. There was only 1 parent there watching over 5 kids so I kind of felt bad for her in the beginning, but after the fourth time telling her that she needs to shut them up, that feeling went away. These little bitches were so annoying that when I watched the movie a second time, it felt like I was watching it for the first time again since I barely understood anything the first time around.Little bastard children should not be allowed into theaters.

• Like 1

I've had a few. Mainly just the typical talkers and foot on the back of my seaters.

But the most memorable one was during New Moon. Not only was the movie horrible, but there were three male teens in the front row that made fun of every scene, while every girl in the house went "OOoooOOOooooOO" every time Edward or Jacob came on the screen. And when Jacob took off his shirt, I swear all the teen girls in the theater had a collective "O".

I felt extremely uncomfortable and out of place. That was the last time I went to an opening day Twilight showing and my wife totally understands why.

Oh, I forgot that on my birthday in 1989, I was watching Batman for the first time and it got to the scene where he says "You wouldn't hit a man with glasses on would ya?" and the film broke, like burnt up. We had to wait about 30 minutes outside the theater(why, I have no idea), until they got it fixed. When they restarted they were already on the ledge, so we missed like 1-2 min of the film. They gave us coupons, but it ruined my first viewing of one of my favorite films ever.

I'm sure the younger of the members are going "Wait, they used to use film?" :lol:

• Like 3

Kung Fu Panda 2. I saw it late in its run, and it was just me, my dad, and a couple in the theater. The film was out of focus, the soundtrack kept going out, and the woman in the couple obnoxiously laughed at EVERYTHING. Terrible showing of a great movie.

I went to see Twilight like the day it came out and there were a bunch of twelve year-old girls behind me going "OMG HES SO HOT" and everytime the camera would turn to Edward Cullen they would be like "OH MY GOSHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" and shit.The movie was pretty shit but I still paid for the ticket.

Paranormal Activity and the last time I saw Half Blood Prince are my worst ones. For PA I had an audience that wouldn't shut the hell up, shit themselves then loudly kept proclaiming it wasn't scary. Was a massively annoying show. Also had a couple of chavvy sluts in the last show if HBP that were swearing and shouting, to the point where a dad in the audience nearly got in to a fight with them.

I went to see Wreck-It Ralph with my younger brother and his friends. While the other guys got their own small popcorns, me and my brother had to share a medium popcorn. My brother has a VERY strict policy that no one even TOUCH the popcorn before the movie starts. He wouldn't let me take a piece during the previews, and I was okay with that. Then Paperman came on. I was so entertained that I kept taking popcorn when he wasn't looking. When he found out the bag was only 3/4 full, he began to punch me rapidly. Hard. My arm felt sore throughout the rest of the movie :lol:

• Like 1

Probably when I saw Holes. Threw up blue Hawaiian Punch on a guy and he, well, reacted appropriately. Otherwise, popcorn is a huge problem.

Cloud Atlas- Bulky-looking couple share a large bucket and chomp on the whole thing loudly. They're just wolfing it down until they finish and I'm relieved they're done. Then the woman goes and gets ANOTHER LARGE BUCKET and they continue for another half hour or so.

Tree of Life- Mother and daughter behind me munching on some popcorn. I can't see them but I can hear that they're eating it weird. The mother whispers, "this is so POIGNANT." How can you say that while you're casually eating food?

Cars 2- Two kids get bored (understandable) and start throwing popcorn at each other. Two dads next to them didn't do a thing.

Rock of Ages- Someone starts throwing popcorn at himself. Oh wait, that might have been me...

And of course the texters are unbearable. I went up to a girl in the front who had her iPhone up for the majority of Flight and asked her to turn the light off because the whole theater could see it. She didn't take well to it but it saved the rest of the crappy movie for me.

• Like 1

Late run showing of the Gladiator (my first though) - previews run then screen goes blank when movie is supposed to start. Movie finally starts about 5-10 minutes later, but with no sound. A few minutes go by then someone gets up and tells them there is no sound. Sound finally gets restored, but they don't restart the movie; this was around the end of the first battle.The theater did give us free tickets to another showing that my wife and I used later, so all ended well.

It happened to me when I saw Prometheus last summer. This guy behind me kept making dumb comments throughout the whole movie. Anytime Naomi rapace was on screen he would shout out get naked. Then when the engineer showed up he referred to him as kratos,and was cheering him on. But the worst part he didn't even know it was an alien prequel. I can deal with crying kids and teenage girls screaming at non scary moments in a horror movie but this guy was a major douche.

Oh wait, I remember when I saw 50/50 last year and two guys came in about halfway through the film(srsly, who let's people into the movie when they're that late?) and they sat behind me and kept making such shitty, nitpicky criticisms of the film thinking they were the smartest fucking critics on the planet and were declaring it the worst film ever made. Ugh, sweet Jesus.

Let Me In was definitely the worst. It was a 11am Sunday showing and I figured there wouldn't be many people, but whaddaya know, the last several rows were filled with popcorn-munching jackasses regularly breaking into laughter. Not all my theater experiences went very well, but that was the only time when I wanted to go full-on Inglourious Basterds on my audience. Another notable one is The Tree of Life. It was a working day and an afternoon showing, but the auditorium was still filled almost completely, and with pretty much totally wrong audience. What's interesting, is that there were rarely any loud disturbances - more people silently walked out than commented or laughed - but the sense of general awkwardness and uneasiness was so thick and overwhelming you could almost touch it in the air. A full-on uncompromising art film watched by a room full of people most of whom had zero fucking idea what to make of it... quite an experience.