Alpha

Why do people dislike TDKR?

Its (falsely) "cool" for elitists and extreme fan boys to dislike popular things once they become too popular, and Nolan's movies are included in that now. That's the culture we've been in living in for close to a decade (or more) now because of rabid anti-fans who represent a minority, but the voices of dissension are always the loudest which makes the Internet such a prime breeding ground for the anti-fans.Are there crazy Nolan fans? Yep. But there's equally as many people who painted a target on the film's back long before ever seeing it and to ignore that lacks any perspective in the grand scheme of things. Not just in this forum, but everywhere. Because its "cool" to go against the grain, and these "anti-fans" on both sides of the fence have nothing better to do in life but tear down things that a lot of people like.It's sick, really. This whole movie vs. movie thing gives a bad name to film fans.

Well said, boss.

• Founder / Operator

Thank you, good sir. And that definitely applies to a lot of other movies and directors as well. I'm sure it has, is, or eventually will happen to Avengers.Going back a bit, it definitely already happened with Raimi and Spider-Man. A decade ago, you couldn't find many people talking trash about those first two movies. Now, on the Internet, it's as if some of the more extreme fans have done a complete one-eighty on those movies. Tastes change, sure, but I think fandom is extremely susceptible to retroactively changing history sometimes.

• Founder / Operator

Yeah, James Cameron definitely comes to mind, with both Titanic & Avatar. But like the self-proclaimed king of the world said regarding Titanic's performance, "it wasn't just 14-year-old girls seeing it over and over". ;)

Definitely. I remember seeing it 3 times myself. Plus one for the re-release last year.
  • Like 1

9/10 UK citizens that have heard of Nolan don't even realise he's from the UK.

I doubt that. Any Hollywood film that has a British director or lots of Brits in the cast is always received more favourably by British audiences. Just look at the top 20 films of all-time in the UK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_United_KingdomApart from Avatar, TS3 and TA, all of them are either based on British stories or have lots of Brits in the cast and crew. That's one of the reasons TDKR did better in the UK than it did in most of the rest of the world.

It's not going to happen to TA for awhile so long as Joss Whedon remains onboard and is the only one to make these movies.. Anyone else other than Whedon and there would be cause for concern.. The AVENGERS franchise really hasn't become to peak yet, probably not until the 4th movie..

1. I don't think that's what he's talking about.

2. Nolan was the only one making the TDK trilogy and according you and some other people he dropped the ball on TDKR. Same thing can happen with Whedon.

It's not going to happen to TA for awhile so long as Joss Whedon remains onboard and is the only one to make these movies.. Anyone else other than Whedon and there would be cause for concern.. The AVENGERS franchise really hasn't become to peak yet, probably not until the 4th movie..

So now you've revealed your true colors as a Whedon fanboy.

BKB: ALL HAIL BUFFY AND FIREFLY! :0

I doubt that. Any Hollywood film that has a British director or lots of Brits in the cast is always received more favourably by British audiences. Just look at the top 20 films of all-time in the UK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_United_KingdomApart from Avatar, TS3 and TA, all of them are either based on British stories or have lots of Brits in the cast and crew. That's one of the reasons TDKR did better in the UK than it did in most of the rest of the world.

Honestly they don't, I have so many arguments with people about it and I live in the UK.

I don't dislike TDKR, I just don't think its as good as TDK or BB. I would give TDK an A+, BB an A, and TDKR a solid B. Sometimes I might flip TDK and BB though. Theyre both pretty good.

Edited by Orestes

• Founder / Operator

That was the same theory with Nolan and TDK, Raimi and Spider-Man, Jackson and LOTR, etc.

Every franchise and every filmmaker that hits the zeitgeist with consistent popularity eventually attracts contrarian backfire from fan boys. It's already happened with Whedon on a small level, and there's no reason to think it won't happen with Avengers in the future if it isn't already.

I'm not saying any of these movies or filmmakers deserve it, I'm saying its just the nature of the Internet and certain kinds of people in the world. Fan boys, and "anti-fans" in particular, are frighteningly similar to the villains of these same comic book movies.To appropriately quote two of them:

"Well, to each his own. I chose my path, you chose the way of the hero. And they found you amusing for a while, the people of this city. But the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying. In spite of everything you've done for them, eventually they will hate you. Why bother?" - Green Goblin

"To them, you're just a freak – like me! They need you right now, but when they don't... they'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, their morals, their code: it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be." - Joker

• Like 8

Its an interesting thing I noticed.I have never seen people get so riled up about a film on FB.Its like if someone says "watched TDKR, its okay" Turns into dozens of comments about people arguing about it.Never saw this for "liked Skyfall, Liked THG, Liked TA"Now I am not saying people hate this film, but to argue that the film has not cause division amoung the audiences is false.As time goes on, this will likely been seen as ROTJ of the Nolan Franchise.Great moments but some things were just ???

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1