iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

I said low to mid 80's when I noticed there were no sell outs in my area by Thursday (there were none Friday either) and that looks like exactly where it's headed.I'm seeing it in 4 hours so I'll judge the quality for myself, but my initial impression is the legs won't be all that good.

WOM is going to be great on this. The GA are absolutely loving it - not just the hardcore fanbase.

Critics are out of touch again! Quelle surprise!

I sure hope so. I think should hold good into XMAS and New Year's. A lot of posters are calling for low numbers I think could make its way to 400M.

I am really bewildered by the reaction this opening is having from some here. You cannot write it off based on a record breaking opening weekend at a time of year where no movie, save its predecessors, has opened with this sort of anticipation. Surely anyone worth their analytical salt can see that there's every chance it plays and plays through the holidays. I know plenty of people that plan to see it with their families over Christmas. There's a period of time coming up where people are off work and will flock. Incomparable to if it had opened in the summer where moviegoing habits are different. It is almost the last weekend before Christmas. People are out shopping for gifts/parties etc. they will get round to seeing it. The movie will wind up doing what it was always going to do. I'm sure of it. I just wasn't sure how it would get there. I still see easily over $300 million, and if anything the real test will be in how the next one opens to sense how much people liked the first. This one is the critic proof one. Just like Phantom Menace was. That said, I absolutely loved it. I think general audiences will be too. That the movie gets better and ends leaving you wanting more bodes well. How we are claiming a near $100 million opening weekend a disappointment when we've never seen this number in December I don't know. Some of you guys need to just take a look at how holiday movies perform and relax. We don't know where it will wind up yet but this is a terrific start.

I am really bewildered by the reaction this opening is having from some here.You cannot write it off based on a record breaking opening weekend at a time of year where no movie, save its predecessors, has opened with this sort of anticipation. Surely anyone worth their analytical salt can see that there's every chance it plays and plays through the holidays. I know plenty of people that plan to see it with their families over Christmas. There's a period of time coming up where people are off work and will flock. Incomparable to if it had opened in the summer where moviegoing habits are different. It is almost the last weekend before Christmas. People are out shopping for gifts/parties etc. they will get round to seeing it.The movie will wind up doing what it was always going to do. I'm sure of it. I just wasn't sure how it would get there. I still see easily over $300 million, and if anything the real test will be in how the next one opens to sense how much people liked the first. This one is the critic proof one. Just like Phantom Menace was. That said, I absolutely loved it. I think general audiences will be too. That the movie gets better and ends leaving you wanting more bodes well.How we are claiming a near $100 million opening weekend a disappointment when we've never seen this number in December I don't know. Some of you guys need to just take a look at how holiday movies perform and relax. We don't know where it will wind up yet but this is a terrific start.

But barely beating the December record is nothing to write home about when the movie in question is the prequel to LOTR. It'll probably top $300m, yes. Again, nothing terribly exciting.

I just don't see how anyone can call how it's going to play over the next couple of weeks after one day's gross??If it was the summer it would be different. I still see nearly $350 million on the table because I cannot see how everyone that saw Lord of the Rings won't come out at some point. Way too early to judge until we get numbers over the Xmas period. I'll admit I thought it would open bigger. Yet thinking about it now I think I was being unrealistic. It was either going to open huge and then have sizeable drops, or open well and reach the same figure ultimately. That's just how I feel about it. This is one of those movies everyone will come out and see.

• Like 1