Plain Old Tele

Weekend numbers thread (close between TH and DU 31.5-31 so far)

150 is still likely for Les Mis (it'll be in high 60s by the end of the weekend, and will have easily passed $100m by next Sunday), but getting to Chicago numbers definitely seems a stretch now.The goal for Django, I think, should be TKS' $138.8m which is the biggest total for a Weinstein movie. $150m might be in play if it's nominated for BP. It should pass Basterds pretty easily, although likely not worldwide. I'd be happy with $100m OS here, anything more would be an icing on the cake.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

DU missing a nomination would be shocking. There are 10 spots and it sure as hell has better reviews and precursor showing than Marigold Hotel for example. But I think that DU buzz is now indipendent of awards. It`s a bone fide great movie with the most likable character and most dispeakable villain of 2012 so people are interested.

DU missing a nomination would be shocking. There are 10 spots and it sure as hell has better reviews and precursor showing than Marigold Hotel for example. But I think that DU buzz is now indipendent of awards. It`s a bone fide great movie with the most likable character and most dispeakable villain of 2012 so people are interested.

The range of BP nominees can be 5 or 10. If there were 8-10 nominees, then Django could make the cut. If there are 5-7, then it'll be harder. It's not a huge Oscar player.

Thinks are looking fairly bright for DU right now, but I wouldn't be shocked if it got snubbed. I think it's only in a slightly better position than Dragon Tattoo was, which, I guess, got held back by being a remake released so soon after the original, not becoming a BO sensation and immediately following the high that everyone had after TSN. Django doesn't have those setbacks, but it's more controversial and this is a stronger year.What I really don't know right now is whether it's getting a Director nom. Tarantino is a DGA member now apparently, and he got a standing ovation after the DGA screening of DU. He could really put up a fight with Hooper for that 5th slot (I think Spielberg, Bigelow, Affleck and Lee are pretty much locked). Unless PTA pulls a Malick over not one, but both of them.

Edited by Jake Gittes

Some shitty increases. If Hobbit doesn't manage better today it will only do like $30m, $4m less than i anticipated. That's a lot. It also affects its run going forward, coz dropping 50% from 34m as opposed to 30m is $2m more. Those millions could be important for reaching $300m.EDIT:On 2nd thought, it'll probably still manage $32m, maybe $33m, if it goes up like 15% today. Not guaranteed but possible. Still, would have liked $36m more.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

Some shitty increases. If Hobbit doesn't manage better today it will only do like $30m, $4m less than i anticipated. That's a lot. It also affects its run going forward, coz dropping 50% from 34m as opposed to 30m is $2m more. Those millions could be important for reaching $300m.

I didn't mean to like this, matter of fact, you just stated the obvious...

When i first heard Les Miz wss coming out i didnt think it would do 100. Just because some of u said 170 doesnt mean its doing poorly because it wont get there.