Plain Old Tele

Weekend numbers thread (close between TH and DU 31.5-31 so far)

Where will ROTG end up? Can it reach 100 million?

I just did a rough calculation and think with $5m+ this weekend it will be close to or slightly above $96m Jan 4-6 weekend with about $2.5m weekend. Don't see it missing the $100m mark with no-competition till February. I can see it making $103m-$105m but that's the highest it will get.

Congratulations to The Hobbit at reaching 200M domestic (and also I believe 600m WW though we have nothing official on that as of yet).Continuing with IAL and NT2 comparisons;If TH1 follows IAL from here on, it will finish with 293M.If TH1 follows NT2 from here on, it will finish with 305M.So 300M isn't guaranteed yet, nor is it out of question by any means. Moderate legs will get it there. But it will be very tough to reach FOTR's unadjusted total.

• Like 1

I just did a rough calculation and think with $5m+ this weekend it will be close to or slightly above $96m Jan 4-6 weekend with about $2.5m weekend. Don't see it missing the $100m mark with no-competition till February. I can see it making $103m-$105m but that's the highest it will get.

Pretty spot on. Jan 4-6 weekend could be closer to $3m making the job even easier.

Life of Pi will probably stall at 95M unless it gets Oscar boost. :(DU and LM can't reach 150M without Oscar boosts either.But Lincoln doesn't need it. It could have got there on its own. But nevertheless, it shall have it.

The most plausible reason that holds for this weekend won't be as good as they were in 2007 is that the Christmas openers this year were a helluva lot stronger that those five years ago. Water Horse was pretty much ignored, while AVP2 and The Great Debaters burnt a lot of steam from Tuesday, primarily the former. These three openers made for significantly more formidable competition.

ROTG has a problem though. Along with all the holdovers from 2012 and new films in January. The problem is the fiscal cliff. Since taxes go way up on January 1st, then moviegoers, especially families will not have enough in their budget to keep going to movies so much.

Bad for Les Mis and Hobbit

Hobbit is fine...Mission Impossible had a slightly larger increase in 2011 and only fell 0.5 percent. Also, New's Years weekend is relatively the same as Christmas weekend in decreases. So when you think of it, Hobbit could fall only 2-3 percent this weekend.The real dissapoint is Les Miz. Obviously the movie is front-loaded, which would be expected considering its massive opening day.

I did my own calculation and figured if Skyfall could hit 300m then ROTG can hit 100m. :P