Schindler's List

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Schindler's List

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My fav Spierlberg film ever and one of my fav films ever. The direction in this film is breathtaking. The "I could've done more" ending is heart-breaking. I dont think I can say anything negative about this movie.

Ironically, that's the one scene I feel gilds the lily a bit. But it's a minor complaint.
  • Like 1

I actually watched for the first time only a few years ago( :ph34r: ), and it is utterly gripping from start to finish.  I don't think there is a more evil character in any movie than Amon Goeth, which Ralph Fiennes played brilliantly... its frightening what human beings are capable of doing to each other, it just leaves you feeling winded.  The decision to make this entirely in black and white was highly effective. 

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

I would have been fine if Fiennes would have won but imo, TLJ was a very deserving winner.

But there's one performance that did not get nominated that year and not only should it have been nominated, it very well could have won and no one would have complained: 

Thanks for this thread.  I am reminded just how long it's been since I last saw SL.  I am thinking back to the time NBC aired it unedited.  The Year was 1997.  Wow, time flies because that the last time I saw what is one of Spielberg's very best.

Adding it to my netflix queue now...

A+

• Like 1

I saw it when I was in University in Ottawa.  Saw it with 4 friends.  We drove home in silence.  No one knew what to say.  You're just speechless after watching something like that.  IMO, Spielberg didn't need that film to show us how good a film maker he was but for all those who just thought of him as someone who directed light hearted movies for kids, they never thought that again after this.  And I don't think you'll ever have another director have a year the way he did in 93.  Jurassic Park destroyed box office records and then Schindler's List kills it at the Oscars.  

Titanic in 1998?

Well done film with it's black and white style but also very realistic and dark depiction of the holocaust and has well done acting by Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler and a terrifying performance by Ralph Fiennes. Though it's a hard watch at some points with it's realism it still a very good movie. A

I loves me Tommy Lee Jones, but Fiennes was robbed of Best Supporting Actor that year.

Good grief, tell me about it.

Even though I've seen this movie far fewer times than anything else in my all-time top ten, it's undeniably powerful and unforgettable. As great as Spielberg is with popcorn entertainment, his stark approach with this film is just right, and it's hard to think of other films that have struck as much of an emotional chord within me as this one. With all due respect to Tom Hanks and Tommy Lee Jones, I think that Liam Neeson and (especially) Ralph Fiennes were robbed of Oscar love.

A+

One of the best movies ever made on the Holocaust. Such an achievement. Above A. That http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwfIf1WMhgcis a masterpiece of its own.

That was a good trailer, so your right.... In reading the YouTube note...it said he saved 1100, which I'd amazing....anyway, I wonder if there were others who saved so many...and also how many died.

That was a good trailer, so your right.... In reading the YouTube note...it said he saved 1100, which I'd amazing....anyway, I wonder if there were others who saved so many...and also how many died.

Approximately six million Jews were killed, and another five million other people deemed "undesirable" by the Nazis (Gypsies, Poles, the handicapped, homosexuals, etc) were also slaughtered.

Approximately six million Jews were killed, and another five million other people deemed "undesirable" by the Nazis (Gypsies, Poles, the handicapped, homosexuals, etc) were also slaughtered.

The greatest mass murderer was not Hitler, Stalline did way worse in numbers ...

I loves me Tommy Lee Jones, but Fiennes was robbed of Best Supporting Actor that year.

Respectfully disagree.  In fact, I think Kilmer should have beat both of them, and he wasn't even nominated.