CJohn

Ben-Hur | 8/19/16 | 7 minutes of Jack Reacher will play before the movie

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

You can't see it in films today unless it's CGI and even that can't create the same scope.  I read it would cost over $400m to make now.  Also the talent and artistry behind and in front of the camera between the 59 version and this one is light years apart.  Might as well have Pitof direct Jay Courtney in Laurence of Arabia in Vancouver on green screen.

@Tele the Jet Baller   BURN THIS POST!!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

You can't see it in films today unless it's CGI and even that can't create the same scope.  I read it would cost over $400m to make now.  Also the talent and artistry behind and in front of the camera between the 59 version and this one is light years apart.  Might as well have Pitof direct Jay Courtney in Laurence of Arabia in Vancouver on green screen.

I mean... I'd be cool with Vancouver. That's about it though :P

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Don't give them any ideas.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

That's why they shouldn't have remade it to begin with, don't try and recreate an epic if you can only half-ass it with a skimpy budget. I would love to see one given the scope in today's age though. but honestly Ben-Hur still looks super real, more so then a lot of CGI fests of today, and the acting is really good and only slightly date for the time of it's release. 

• Like 1

Critics Consensus: How do you fight an idea? By filming a remake that has too few of its own, and tries to cover it up with choppy editing and CGI.

Holy crap, I don't think I've ever seen a consensus more vicious than this one.

:sadben:

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Critics Consensus: How do you fight an idea? By filming a remake that has too few of its own, and tries to cover it up with choppy editing and CGI.

Are we forgetting Nine Lives. "Not meow, not ever." 

But yea...thats something else. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

But it´s true.

26 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

RT can really let loose on movies like this cuz they don't have armies of sycophants waiting to attack

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 5

900K on Thursday. So much for those who thought this was going to "overperform".

I would never greenlight a remake of Ben-Hur for a variety of reasons one biggie being that there is now a huge divide between the "Faith" and Secular audiences that did not exist in 1959, and making a film with Christ as a central themes that can satisfy both audiences is almost impossible. The ambigious way Yeshua Ben Yosef was treated in the 1959 version would upset the Christian audience today (Yes, I know they like the 1959 version but I think it is a case of it being sort of "Grandfathered In") whereas the openly proselytizing path that this version apparently takes would turn off Secular audiences. If I wanted to remake a Epic, there are Epics that would be a lot safer to do.

And,btw, the film is apparently not very good anyway.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:33 AM, Gumby said:

Was looking forward to this a bit until the director made a point of saying how this version is about "forgiveness" and not "revenge."

A touchy-feely Ben Hur.

No thanks.

Actually ,that was a main  theme of the 1959 film as well. But it was well handled in the 59 version, whereas it look like it was horribly handled in this version.

Brilliant finale. I hate religion, but I embraced the ending as a warm rain of salvation in the times of darkness and pain I now find myself in.

I hope this movie finds the success it deserves, because it is of good heart. (No wonder the "original" 1959 ending was devoid of the heavenly light of the new ending - which is now the one to stay in the minds and hearts of the public.)

Edited by shayhiri

20 hours ago, Arlborn said:

'Choppy editing' is becoming a real pain in the craw for me this year.

Victoria Alexander
FilmsInReview.com

August 19, 2016
Two stunning scenes and two boring actors without charisma. They neutered their characters. Messala ruined the Ben-Hur family simply out of necessity - he was just doing his job.

That is the stupidest thing I've read in a while. This critic obviously has no idea how good stories and characters are made.

I checked the 50ies movie - and it is repulsively basic and profane in that aspect (or any). The new one has actual characters and a story I could care about.

PS: My new Creative Writing course starts today, and I'll be teaching my students exactly that - how to do stories and characters the right way.