CJohn

Ben-Hur | 8/19/16 | 7 minutes of Jack Reacher will play before the movie

16 minutes ago, Morieris said:

When does the review embargo end...if I remember Beyond correctly, I guess we can bet 11 PM on the evening before release.

I think I speak for many of us...

Who gives a shit.

This movie will suck.

On 7/28/2016 at 8:20 PM, AJG said:

HOW WAS THIS GREENLIT??????

Seriously. I can't think of any logical reason apart from possibly some kind of rights issue. A Ben Hur remake? In 2016? 

There's no viable market for this. The US Christians that see these Christian movies are so old they know to just watch the original. Who the fuck is this for?

Well thats a bit simplistic

True the biblical epics appealed to Christians but they sold so many tickets are so ingrained in movie culture, they were likely seen by mass audience at that time.

The only way a movie like this would work is that it stars a popular well liked actor to get some attention to it. Second it be good film and three it needs toe have some epic scale but have a grounded story. 

The original is likely the best of the biblical epics and likely one of the most 'epic' movies I seen in terms of scale and grandeur but it has flaws for its length and ending being a let down compared to the famous Chariot Scene. 

At the beginning of the summer I thought.... along with everybody else that this is pointless and it's going to tank badly. But for some reason the closer we get to it the more reviews I read about it and the more commercials I see for it I just have this nagging feeling that's going to do way better then I think anyways think it will. Yes it should Miss double digits this weekend. But part of me is thinking it's going to do something crazy like open to 20 million.

2 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

At the beginning of the summer I thought.... along with everybody else that this is pointless and it's going to tank badly. But for some reason the closer we get to it the more reviews I read about it and the more commercials I see for it I just have this nagging feeling that's going to do way better then I think anyways think it will. Yes it should Miss double digits this weekend. But part of me is thinking it's going to do something crazy like open to 20 million.

$20m still wouldn't be good since the budget is around $100m. 

2 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

There are reviews for Ben-Hur out already?