Melancholia

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Melancholia

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Stunning visuals and cinematography, a rousing performance from Kristen, but the story is so disjointed. The first part of the film becomes tedious, but thankfully, it picks up in the second part. There was something very haunting about this film and the way the characters tried to deal with the issue.

B

Ummmm...hated part 1 that I was over it by the time part 2 came along. The last hour was a drastic improvement on the first part, but it still wasn't enough to make up for the mess. Kirsten was fine, nothing special, but the visuals were amazing. I feel like this failed to do what the Tree of Life successfully did. The scene where Dunst lies naked on the ground rubbing herself was pointless and pretentious.C (only because of part 2, otherwise a D/D-)

I saw this last week and am still mulling it over. You think it's going to be an indie disaster movie and then the first act is basically Rachel Getting Married... I suppose this was some kind of metaphor, but I agree with others that the second act was much better, albeit more straightforward. The acting was good. Liked the bluish tint to the picture... it had a dream-like effect.

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I'll be damned if this isn't the kind of film that stays with you for a few days. That main music theme and some of the visuals do a great job of portraying the impending doom that is sure to come.

I do agree with others that the first act was weaker.........I love a good art film, but the first hour is really almost too ludicrous and abstract to really get involved. Second act was pretty damn solid, a harrowing look into how humans face impending death.

Dunst was good, but I wouldn't say great.......she had to act pretty emotionless for the movie, so perhaps that's why she excels here. I thought her sister was a more interesting study, and Sutherland's behavior was the most interesting in terms of analyzing, IMO.

Good score, and it really does have a creepy, dark atmosphere that pervades throughout the film. I would probably have loved it if it weren't for the first hour, but it's still one of the better apocalyptic flicks you'll see.

B/B-

Edited by mattmav45

Thought it was brilliant. Dunst really surprised me and the theme of a depressed individual taking a senseless, Godless crisis in their stride while more rational, 'together' people lose their minds was chillingly realised.I know a lot of people think the first half was a grind but we had to see what Justine was like before her depression hit for it to mean anything. The various family feuds at the wedding acted as a metaphor for the thin social veneer of humantiy that is comparitively absurd and fickle in a meaningless universe.

Edited by Hatebox

The end of the world as a metaphor for depression. I truly cannot express how incredible this movie is. The feeling of overwhelming nothingness, a trillion years of emptiness packed into a single moment. Best movie all-time imo.

10/10