Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

On 25/05/2016 at 0:11 AM, 4815162342 said:

Mayhaps, but I was referring to non-GoT properties.

I know that the TV rights issue for Wheel of Time is apparently a cluster.

Wheel of Time will at best muster Outlander ratings. It's an outdated relic of its time with incredibly niche appeal and the reason A Song of Ice and Fire/GoT clicks so well is because it is a deeper deconstruction of the fantasy genre of the 80's and early 90's, of works like WoT. ASoIaF/GoT is basically the Watchmen of its genre.

• Like 1

to quote another character on another show dany needs to start doing and stop talking , i mean i love her she's one of my fav character but ehh this speech was just meh but i blame writers that said i'm glad she kinda realized this horse riding journey was taking forever and whoop dee doo look who decided to come see what momma dragons is up too , if you ask me i suspect he was hanging around in the the background chilling lifting his nose once in blue moon checking to see if his ma was in real deep poo poo necessitating his fiery skills then go back to waxing the sheep he just ate bones.

so now khalessar will catch up and next week tha queen is back in mereen , dany and tyrion kick off their bff status 

good thing uncle benjen is still somewhat alive becoz i was seriously doubting those two would survive any longer 

margaery learned a valuable lesson about the sparrow when he told her his story and girl is playing the whole nine yard long con , i hope we see her and her grdma speak about it 

where is sam taking that girl and when will he make it to the citadel?

did you guys noticed they mentionned the brotherhood gendryyyy as for arya girl gtfo of crazy town and the many face cult , guess that stark blood was too strong but man  will they hunt her until they get her face eek 

wait is season 7 really the last one ? wonder if that means a lot a people gonna die soon to trim down budget , what about dorne will we ever hear about them again ?

This episode was inevitably going to feel like a step back after 'The Door' (and the pretty relentless pace thus far this season). For the most part I actually enjoyed the change of pace. Jack Bender continues to be a great choice of director, and a lot of the 'smaller' scenes really worked for me. 

If anything, it was the bigger stuff that disappointed this time. The Benjen/Cold hands (Benhands? Coldjen?) reveal was fun but felt like yet another Deus ex Machina this season. And don't get me started on Dany's speechifying.... my honest hope is that they are well and truly setting Dany up to be a Walter White esque dark antihero. That would be the only worthy pay off for all this cringe-worthy speechmaking she does all the damn time.

Looking forward to the Riverlands, and to Arya's storyline finally getting a bit of traction.

On 5/30/2016 at 1:11 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Wheel of Time will at best muster Outlander ratings. It's an outdated relic of its time with incredibly niche appeal and the reason A Song of Ice and Fire/GoT clicks so well is because it is a deeper deconstruction of the fantasy genre of the 80's and early 90's, of works like WoT. ASoIaF/GoT is basically the Watchmen of its genre.

Yes, WoT is very much a classical fantasy story, but that in it of itself is not a knock against it. I've found that the "second trilogy" of the series (Books 4-6) of WoT rivals A Storm of Swords in quality. Sure, the worst WoT books (The Path of Daggers, Crossroads of Twilight) are definitely worse than the worst ASOIAF book, but the fact that the series is a deconstruction with some inversion of classic tropes doesn't alone account for its success. The initial marketing was good and the sheer quality of Season 1 really helped to wedge the door open.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Yes, WoT is very much a classical fantasy story, but that in it of itself is not a knock against it. I've found that the "second trilogy" of the series (Books 4-6) of WoT rivals A Storm of Swords in quality. Sure, the worst WoT books (The Path of Daggers, Crossroads of Twilight) are definitely worse than the worst ASOIAF book, but the fact that the series is a deconstruction with some inversion of classic tropes doesn't alone account for its success. The initial marketing was good and the sheer quality of Season 1 really helped to wedge the door open.

I also have found it quite hard to go back to classical fantasy after Game of Thrones.  It broke down the genre so well that the genre almost seems silly now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Cersei had a complete non-reaction to Tommen aligning the crown and the faith - any chance she's playing the long con here? 

Probably not that long a con since we're waiting for her "I choose violence" quote

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Lyanna Mormont - my new favorite character this season!  <3

She means business.

Glad to see Sandor Clegane back in action, and he looks like he'll be having some Death Wish/First Blood vengeance on his mind. Those Brotherhooders messed with the wrong church group.

Most of the episode was set-up with next week being the payoff, based on the promo.

95% chance Sansa was writing that letter to Littlefinger.

50 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

The next 3 episodes are going to be absolutely incredible. So many storylines about to come to an explosive conclusion. It can't be said enough how well this show has bounced back from a disappointing season.

This season has been amazing, seriously. Another wonderful episode, holy crap.

Lyanna Mormont rocked so bad.

Been hearing some complaints about the episode lengths the past few weeks. Last 3 episodes of the season are 59, 60, and 69 minutes respectively. BTW the leaked episode titles for 9 and 10 were supposedly "The Battle of the Bastards" and "The Winds of Winter." So shit is most definitely going down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

^ do those run times include the behind the scenes. If you take out the previous episodes recap, the intro and credits, it feels like it's around 45 minutes of actual screen time.

http://www.hbo.com/search?type=schedule&seriesIds=PMRS1663&q=GAME%2BOF%2BTHRONES

According to that, I guess so, since this past episode seemed around a little over 45 minutes and is listed as 51 minutes on HBO's website. So it probably includes all the extra stuff except for promos for other HBO shows.