RyneOh1040

Friday Numbers - ED 30M+, JP 17 (30M and 17M predicted OW)

I saw that movie in Spanish in DR. I use to love that movie.

I think Twister would be pretty cool to see again in theaters and in 3D. I saw it on its OW and remember being blown away by it. It basically started the whole early May opening trend that's commen place now.

I think Twister would be pretty cool to see again in theaters and in 3D. I saw it on its OW and remember being blown away by it. It basically started the whole early May opening trend that's commen place now.

This would be funny in 3D :lol:

Posted Image

• Like 9

Twister might be a decent choice for 3D alone, but as far as nostalgia and general love of the movie, it doesn't come remotely close to JP, ID4, Star Wars, or all the other big ones. It was a pretty forgettable blockbuster.

FRIDAY 4:30 PM, 2ND UPDATE: No change in the Top Five order with 30% of kids out of school especially in the big cities and 7% of college students out. Sony’s Tristar/FilmDistrict/Ghost House’s Evil Dead is looking like $13M-$15M today and $27M-$30M for the weekend. Universal’s Jurassic Park 3D targeting $7M today with 45% of its business in IMAX locations.  Paramount’s holdover G.I. Joe: Retaliation which was last weekend’s #1 looks down -59% Friday and only -50% for the weekend.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/first-box-office-evil-dead-and-jurassic-park-3d-start-strong-in-late-shows/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

FRIDAY 11:30 PM, 3RD UPDATE: Sony’s TriStar/FilmDistrict/Ghost House’s newcomer Evil Dead is a #1 lock today with $11.5 million assuming good late shows and as much as $27M for the weekend depending on Saturday’s drop. The ‘C+’ CinemaScore is disappointing for word of mouth. (“Maybe they just grabbed the people running out the door with their hands over their mouths,” joked a studio exec about the horror genre.) Coming in #2 today is Universal’s new conversion of Jurassic Park In 3D with $7M. But it could drop to #4 taking in $18M through Sunday. As for overall moviegoing, the weekend could be as high as $130M which would be +5% from last year.

I was here when Scream 4 opened and I remember Baumer having a thread which he jokingly said it opened to $20MOD....the meltdowns  lol. Scream 4 was several years late plus it was a mediocre movie.

It was actually a pretty strong movie. Way better than Scream 3 and as good as the first two. But it was late, yes. Scream 4, like its predecessors, was a deconstruction of slasher movies, which haven't really had the same effect on the BO as they did before the turn of the century. Now, everyone wants big, OTT, larger than life stuff from their horror flicks. ED type monsters, gruesome, versatile deaths ala Final Destination, sinister supernatural forces like the PA flicks, or if it has to be a serial killer, than make him or her incredibly diabolical and calculating like Jigsaw.

Plain ass slashers just don't make the cut these days, unless they are iconic like Jason, Freddie and to a far lesser extent, Mike. Slasher flicks lost their relevance in the 21st century, and unfortunately by association, the Scream franchise too.