RyneOh1040

Friday Numbers - ED 30M+, JP 17 (30M and 17M predicted OW)

A C+ CS for Evil Dead? Did people think they were going to see Pride and Prejudice? Evil Dead came exactly as billed. Gory, quite scary, bad acting, questionable directing in some scenes and all out bloodbath. I really don't know why it would get a C+. If you were there opening night, you should know exactly what you are in for. I saw it with 3 others and all of us liked it.I hope it has a decent multiplier and with a 25 mill opening, I hope it hits 55-60 mill. It's the ballsiest horror film I've seen in years.

Well it's already a hit right? That CS doesn't surprise me because the American public can be really stupid sometimes just look at Drive's CS.

Yea, but Drive was billed to be something that it wasn't. That's what pissed people off. Evil Dead ended up being exactly what it told you it would be. I'm not sure why people gave it a negative score.

Yea, but Drive was billed to be something that it wasn't. That's what pissed people off. Evil Dead ended up being exactly what it told you it would be. I'm not sure why people gave it a negative score.

Most horror movies seem to get quite negative Cinemascore results

I don't think it will Fish. The thing about Saw and PA is that at the beginning their budgets were so low and their grosses so high that it made good business sense to keep making them. Evil Dead is still low budget but with a 14 million dollar budget and probably another 25 in marketing, that isn't that low. And if the C+ CS really holds up, this is going to plummet in the coming weeks. I hope not, but it looks like it might.

Yikes @ that CS!

CS is low because mostly horror fans, who aren`t necessarily ED fans,  and an odd fan of the original ED, who may not be inclined to emrace the remake, showed up. Unlike movies with huge built-in fandom such as BD2 and AUJ that had ridiculously inflated A+ CS by their fans who packed the cinemas OW. No wonder those A+ CS didn`t translate in Titanic numbers - it wasn`t GA opinion. ED`s CS in much more realistic.

Edited by fishnets

Technically, some might argue that it was definitely billed to be something it's not. The marketing is calling it "The Scariest Movie Ever!"What they should have done, is call it "The Bloodiest Movie Ever!" Because it ain't scary in the slightest.

Technically, some might argue that it was definitely billed to be something it's not. The marketing is calling it "The Scariest Movie Ever!"What they should have done, is call it "The Bloodiest Movie Ever!" Because it ain't scary in the slightest.

That's debatable. I agree it's not the scariest but it's not like you are watching Pineapple Express. There is a scene in the trailer where the girl cuts her tongue open with a piece of glass. That's pretty frikkin scary. And if you are hooked by a scene like that and you go opening night, then I say shame on you for expecting something different.

Most horror movies seem to get quite negative Cinemascore results

They're always low because of faux-macho douchebags who piss themselves scared during the movie and when it finishes they declare "Man, that was some bullshit, wasn't scary in the slightest etc, etc" I see those guys every time I see a horror flick.

• Like 6

They're always low because of faux-macho douchebags who piss themselves scared during the movie and when it finishes they declare "Man, that was some bullshit, wasn't scary in the slightest etc, etc" I see those guys every time I see a horror flick.

True that but they aslo spread negative buzz so they aren`t w/o influence.

@ERCboxoffice: Friday's top movies: #1 EVIL DEAD- $12M #2 JURASSIC PARK- $7M #3 GI JOE 2 - $6.5M #4 CROODS- $6.1M #5 TEMPTATION- $3.4MExcellent for the openers, solid hold for GI Joe, and amazing for The Croods. Nothing is stopping this from 200m.

• Like 2

It was actually a pretty strong movie. Way better than Scream 3 and as good as the first two. But it was late, yes. Scream 4, like its predecessors, was a deconstruction of slasher movies, which haven't really had the same effect on the BO as they did before the turn of the century. Now, everyone wants big, OTT, larger than life stuff from their horror flicks. ED type monsters, gruesome, versatile deaths ala Final Destination, sinister supernatural forces like the PA flicks, or if it has to be a serial killer, than make him or her incredibly diabolical and calculating like Jigsaw.

Plain ass slashers just don't make the cut these days, unless they are iconic like Jason, Freddie and to a far lesser extent, Mike. Slasher flicks lost their relevance in the 21st century, and unfortunately by association, the Scream franchise too.

It was nowhere near as good as the first two. No suspense and zero character development. It was a shadow of its former self. Never been so bored in a cinema since Van Helsing.

It was nowhere near as good as the first two. No suspense and zero character development. It was a shadow of its former self. Never been so bored in a cinema since Van Helsing.

Which one are you talking about?