A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They were airing many ads on election night. Sony is doing a decent job marketing it. Just because they don't release posters to the hardcore fanboys' liking doesn't mean they're doing a bad job.

Its not a matter of quantity, it's a matter of how they market this thing. When so many people on Twitter say they were excited by the idea of a Pratt/Lawrence movie until they saw the trailer, someone in marketing did a poor job.

it feels like they don't know how to market this thing, and I just hope that's not indicative of executive meddling in the movie itself. I just hope the movie is fun and entertaining and WOM prevails.

• Like 1

Yes, Denzel was the main star of Mag7, but you cannot tell me that the added luster of having the newly-minted biggest male star in Hollywood was not reason for them to think the film would make way more than the typical Denzel movie. Also, Joy was certainly a hoped-for 100 million grosser in the US.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Or maybe the movie isn't very good, which is also possible. I hope it isn't a stinker.

You can sell a crappy movie if you get the marketing right (ahm BvS). I hope the movie is good, or at least decent with some entertaining scenes. I like both stars and I think I'd enjoy it for their screen presence alone... But a lot of people are just not buying what the trailers are selling. The recent change of tone also did not go over well and reads as confused and indecisive in many reactions I've seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochofles said:

This is the biggest box office question mark for me. Neither Magnificent Seven nor Joy exploded the way you would think they could have, based on the presence of their main marquee stars, and I always wonder about these theoretically mega-watt star pairings. 

a star can make a good movie great at the box office, but can't make a poor movie explode. That doesn't mean having a star in it isn't a big help, just that you have to have a decent movie, as well.  And I agree that without Jen Joy would have done a lot worse, given the reviews and the movie itself.  She was great in it, hence the Oscar nomination, but that isn't enough if the movie is perceived outright as poor.  I'm concerned with the predisposition to have a problem with this one that I am perceiving amongst awards critics.  I think it will be big overseas, but here the reviews will matter more.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I am hoping the RT score is good, as well.  That will make a difference in its domestic BO.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

From the buzz thread

I don't think that is official tracking, just a compilation of estimates. The Wrap itself suggests it is kind of all over the place, but with the order of film BO that weekend being consistent.

Different prognosticators are saying different things. ...

But all early estimates rank “Sing” as the top newly opening wide release opening that weekend with it surpassing $80 million on the high end of six-day estimates (factoring in the following Monday, which most people have off). All prognosticators have Columbia Pictures’ space travel film as the second highest grossing of the weekend and New Regency and Ubisoft’s video game movie, being distributed by 20th Century Fox, as the third.

Collider estimates this:

• Opening Weekend (5-day): $55 million
  • Projected Gross Range: $150 million – $250 million
  • Estimated Final Gross: $195 million

http://collider.com/box-office-predictions-december-2016/#sing

I have a club saying it will have a $5M higher DOM BO, so I hope they are underestimating it. But the range is $100M wide, so I don't think we are talking about tracking, per se.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JennaJ said:

You can sell a crappy movie if you get the marketing right (ahm BvS). I hope the movie is good, or at least decent with some entertaining scenes. I like both stars and I think I'd enjoy it for their screen presence alone... But a lot of people are just not buying what the trailers are selling. The recent change of tone also did not go over well and reads as confused and indecisive in many reactions I've seen.

BVS was sold as it was. You may think it was crap but audiences didn't. The same people who hated the movie were already hating on the trailers. The one released around Star Wars received a lot of backlash. ^_^

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Oh, those fan reactions... I wish I could believe on them.

Well, she was invited to a press screening, so she may be there in a professional capacity.  I agree that random twitter reactions are random, but earlier some people had a pretty big reaction to one opinion, so I was showing others.  I haven't seen any bad ones, yet.  But it is true you can't tell from this sort of thing.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Early reactions are almost always worthless. Let's wait for the professional critics.

As opposed to the only slightly less worthless reviews by professional critics when it comes to big blockbusters like this...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

As opposed to the only slightly less worthless reviews by professional critics when it comes to big blockbusters like this...

fixed

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Really? 

you are right Tele, so I fixed it :P  which is just the last part as it's just fan talk ;)