A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

8 hours ago, trifle said:

The movie has a $100 M budget after tax credits. 

Jen has been a draw overseas for some time. 

If the movie truly is bad (which I doubt) no star could make it a blockbuster.  But that people have to make up absurdly high budget numbers even after the RT rating really makes me wonder what their angle might be.

Sony is lying. You don't get 50-60 million tax credit. Maximum 30 million. This probably got 20-30M in tax credits so most likely is 130-140M budget.

5 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Sony is lying. You don't get 50-60 million tax credit. Maximum 30 million. This probably got 20-30M in tax credits so most likely is 130-140M budget.

You can question all the budget reports by studios these days if you want.

I caved and watched one two of the clips that Sony India released (this is spoiler free) and I like the way Pratt played this. Really looking forward to seeing his performance, I hope he gets to prove himself as a dramatic lead.

(Also, as a female specimen, I died a little. Holy shit.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain H said:

If Valerian bombs I'm gonna go Liam Neeson on your ass.

:v

Did you see Neeson on Stephen Colbert's show last night? It opened with Neeson playing the most menacing Santa ever. "I see you...when you're sleeping. Do you understand what that means?" Not a direct quote but it gets the spirit. :o :lol:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeQ said:

For the record, I appreciate all of your posts related to the movie and welcome them. I enjoyed the thread more when you were posting promotional material, clips, interviews, reception, etc - all stuff that is related to the film and its box office potential. Those kind of posts gave me more information to discuss box office and how interested general audiences may be. So cheers.

Peace,

Mike

thanks!  Well, these from China and Seoul, then!

I will spoiler tag them (they aren't spoilers, just promo shots) in consideration of people on their phones, though. I hadn't thought of that angle.

Spoiler

someone gave her dog  treats for her dog, but I'm sure there is a quarantine there for pets so I doubt Pippi was with her.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

6 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

No, it was originally a $120M budget then Rothman came on board at Sony and tried to cut it to $90M and only partly succeeded.  And now it is being reported as $100M after tax credits, which is consistent with what was being said for a year, with extra added in for the VFX issue.  This isn't last minute scrambling.

And actually @shayhiri you said you had decided to like it.  Fickle!

4 hours ago, amelin said:

I caved and watched one two of the clips that Sony India released (this is spoiler free) and I like the way Pratt played this. Really looking forward to seeing his performance, I hope he gets to prove himself as a dramatic lead.

(Also, as a female specimen, I died a little. Holy shit.)

I understand he does very well.  I've only seen praise for the acting on both of their part.  I'm really excited to see this movie!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cochofles said:

120 or 160 million won't make a difference: it will be a money-losing proposition for the studio. 

I'll bet you it makes money, being defined as over $300M worldwide, or heck, I'll go $330 worldwide to bring in the higher reported budget.  Loser to donate $50 to the forums.  Are you up for it?

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Box Office's long range for this has fallen from $145M to $120M and they're usually optimistic. You can start to taste the blood in the water tbh.

That plus overseas will still make money.  I definitely sense the feeding frenzy of certain critics, but now I guess we have to see what the actual box office will bring.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/passengers-review-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratts-sinster-sexless/

2 out of 5 stars

"As a directing assignment, it at least proves that The Imitation Game was no fluke: Morten Tyldum can make glossily sexless, space-cadet guff out of whatever half-baked script you throw at him. The attempts at humour are wince-inducing. Pratt does get to play a terrified conscience, a naughty schoolboy sure he’s going to be found out – but someone might have spared him the chuckle-alongs to Aurora’s lame jokes, which just make Jim seem wholly devoid of taste.

We could ask, too, what reason these characters have for leaving their Earth lives behind. The answer is that they have no lives behind, being characters – one-line resumés, sign-on opportunities for movie stars who should know better – rather than people."

What exactly has Tyldum done besides The Imitation Game that made the studio think he was a good fit for this script?

Edited by Cochofles

6 hours ago, Cochofles said:

120 or 160 million won't make a difference: it will be a money-losing proposition for the studio. 

39 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'll bet you it makes money, being defined as over $300M worldwide, or heck, I'll go $330 worldwide to bring in the higher reported budget.  Loser to donate $50 to the forums.  Are you up for it?

That plus overseas will still make money.  I definitely sense the feeding frenzy of certain critics, but now I guess we have to see what the actual box office will bring.

28 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/passengers-review-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratts-sinster-sexless/

2 out of 5 stars

"As a directing assignment, it at least proves that The Imitation Game was no fluke: Morten Tyldum can make glossily sexless, space-cadet guff out of whatever half-baked script you throw at him. The attempts at humour are wince-inducing. Pratt does get to play a terrified conscience, a naughty schoolboy sure he’s going to be found out – but someone might have spared him the chuckle-alongs to Aurora’s lame jokes, which just make Jim seem wholly devoid of taste.

We could ask, too, what reason these characters have for leaving their Earth lives behind. The answer is that they have no lives behind, being characters – one-line resumés, sign-on opportunities for movie stars who should know better – rather than people."

What exactly has Tyldum done besides The Imitation Game that made the studio think he was a good fit for this script?

so does that mean you are taking me up on my bet?

Spoiler

Edited by trifle