A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I also feel like sony failed this movie because they mis-led folks. If they wanted to go the love route then they should have done that and spent more time focused on Pratt's character and loneliness. Maybe then what he does wouldn't be that creepy because we'd get a chance to understand what the character is going through. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

Okay, maybe blaming my lack of interest on the JLaw/Pratt mania isn't fair. I enjoy them both, and I haven't been online enough to get bombarded by all the "stanning." But still, this just doesn't have that "thing." Even before the reviews, I just couldn't get excited.

Keep the space movies coming anyway. I'm still having a good time.

Life is on the way. Coming from Sony. 

In that one Jake G and Ryan Reynolds fall in love instead of Pratt and JLaw

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

There have been plenty of poorly received films with stars in it that have done good at the box office. 

All this proves is that Jlaw isn't the draw everyone thinks she is (although she has some box office clout but not as much as was thought) and that Pratt is a franchise star. 

Point out a big, highly anticipated film, especially a sci fi film, that got this type of critical lashing and did really well at the box office. As to the rest, who is the magic draw that would draw people into theaters today for a poorly reviewed film outside of certain genres or franchises? So if a person cannot make a film a hit despite every conceivable bad circumstance, they are suddenly not a draw? Silly. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Come on guys, reviews for Passengers are particularly bad, no actor could overcome that type of reception.

A franhise can, a movie & its stars on itself, it s very difficult.

I am talking about my personal interest in the film...

If the trailer was really effective, if the movie looked great and people were excited to see it, the critics would not affect it. Negative reviews alone don't kill a movie, but a combination of bad reviews and bad marketing will. If Passengers fails at the box office, I don't think it's fair to blame the stars or to give critics credit for killing it. 

Neither Pratt nor Jennifer Lawrence have ever proven themselves as box-office stars.  Being plopped in a best-selling book franchise adaptation or a Marvel or Jurassic movie that goes on to make money doesn't mean you're a box-office star.  It means you got lucky.  Lawrence has literally been in either O. Russell movies, X-Men movies, or Hunger Games movies for the past 5 years (excepting major fail Serena), how does the success of any of those movies evince her being a box-office star?  It just doesn't make any sense.  O. Russell started making hits with The Fighter, and SLP also featured a surging Bradley Cooper (who proved himself with Limitless).  Is Michael Fassbender suddenly a box-office star because some X-Men and Ridley Scott movies made money?  :redcapes:  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeriosnal said:

Neither Pratt nor Jennifer Lawrence have ever proven themselves as box-office stars.  Being plopped in a best-selling book franchise adaptation or a Marvel or Jurassic movie that goes on to make money doesn't mean you're a box-office star.  It means you got lucky.  Lawrence has literally been in either O. Russell movies, X-Men movies, or Hunger Games movies for the past 5 years (excepting major fail Serena), how does the success of any of those movies evince her being a box-office star?  

Absolutely.

And her one name-above-the-title star vehicle that was supposed to unequivocally cement her alleged BO clout (Joy ) could not even do 60 million domestically [although, in retrospect, her fans will say that the film was never that appealing to begin with and that only her name could make it gross that much].

2 hours ago, Nova said:

I also feel like sony failed this movie because they mis-led folks. If they wanted to go the love route then they should have done that and spent more time focused on Pratt's character and loneliness. Maybe then

Spoiler

what he does wouldn't be that creepy because we'd get a chance to understand what the character is going through. 

spoiler tags maybe?