A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

Unless their individuals charms converge into tepid chemistry (a la Tom and Nicole in Eyes Wide Shut, Julia and Brad in The Mexican, and Johnny and Angelina in The Tourist ), this will continue JLaw and CPratt's winning box office streak. I can see a 300-million-smash coming...

• Like 4

It's interesting how different people can read something and get a completely different take on it.  The script I read was not a comedy.  A romance, yes, but not a comedy.  Of course, I first read it when Keanu Reeves was still attached to it, so maybe that's why.  Here are the director's thoughts on the matter:

"This is a love story, a character drama between two people. It just happened to be in space, which is the beauty of it. It’s a very different kind of sci-fi—not laser guns and fights. It’s a very existential film about what we need to be fulfilled as people. It goes very deep and very dark and very dramatic."
— Morten Tyldum, director of Passengers

That doesn't sound like a rom-com to me.  I guess we'll find out in December.

• Like 1

Just now, antovolk said:

The 3-4 min CinemaCon one I think. These showed up on the 20th.

The one for release will obviously be edited

I'm sure its probably somewhere around in China since these pics were released around the 20th.

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Moderation:

Guys, do not post bootleg material. This includes anything not put out in an official release by the studio or filmmaker.

Has bootleg material been released?

3 minutes ago, antovolk said:

An HD Sony Pics sizzle  from their Chinese Expo dropped. Sounds like that's indeed a 'leak'. New footage there was this and Inferno.

Do you by any chance have a link (PM)?

it's like 3 second of footage, you can barely see anything because of the editing. Production design looks dope.

There is also 2 second of Inferno, which basically consists of two shot, one of Tom Hanks and another of Felicity Jones saying "nice to have you back, professor"

Edited by Goffe

I'm wondering if Sony would be wise enough to pull Passengers' release from post-Rogue One weekend all the way to the 1st of October.

It's a release date that worked marvelously for Gravity and The Martian (and usually these sci-fi originals released during the fall in general tend to do well, including those three + Interstellar), it would face virtually ZERO competition (closest would have to be The Girl On The Train, which, although should be a very good movie and do pretty well, it probably won't be the Gone Girl 2.0 that Universal wants it to be), and it's not the 1st time that a movie got pushed back quite a lot of months from that late December release date to escape Star Wars' fury - recently you had Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, pulled to July, and even in the vein of tough mid-Summer competition, that worked out just fine, didn't it?

Plus, not only will it face competition if it does stick to this release date from not just Rogue One, but also Assassin's Creed and Sing, but it doesn't even properly work as Rogue One counterprogramming since it is also a sci-fi space opera'ish type deal (sure, a romance rather than a gritty war film, but still). I know Sony doesn't give a shit about what I'm saying, and I have no idea if the movie's finished or not so no way do I want them to rush anything, but to be fair, Rogue Nation also finished filming a mere 4 months before release, so that BS argument is hanging by the ropes too.

If they want to put one of their movies on that Christmas date, put fucking Inferno there. Tom Hanks did pretty great for himself in Chrismas releases before (Cast Away being an obvious example), and Christmas is a pretty religious holiday, for which Inferno of all movies being released there would bring the uproar and controversy that made The Da Vinci Code so successful in the 1st place. Those movies are all about publicity, and Inferno getting a Christmas release date would be perfect for it because of such factor. Meanwhile, Passengers gets the October push and destroys the month the same way The Martian destroyed last year's October, and Gravity destroyed 2013's October.

Just sayin'.

• Like 5

Sony is removing articles containing the images. The one I saw earlier just disappeared.

Well, judging by how quickly those images got spread over social media should at least tell them there's interest... :P

Edited by JennaJ

40 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Sony is removing articles containing the images. The one I saw earlier just disappeared.

Well, judging by how quickly those images got spread over social media should at least tell them there's interest... :P

I saw the gif in the email and AAAHSHFBYAUSGNAHUREGNUREAYH