Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

yep, he is just below the One Above All i.e God.

I love Marvel cosmic universe. Its something that DC universe is weak in.

Yeah. Early 90's Starlin, Len Kaminksi, and Steve Englehart stories that delve into ethereal cosmic entities and the metaphysics of the Marvel universe have always been my favorite.

On a semi-related note, I always thought it would have been cool for them to cut up The Thanos Quest into 3 or 4 short films attached to each Avengers solo film (ala pixars shorts) or as after-credit tags that lead into Avengers 2 (or whichever film Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet is in). Except that that's not really feasible because the script for an Avengers movie isn't really locked when the solo films start filming (heck not even locked until Joss is done editing :P). They can't really afford to paint themselves into a corner again the way they did when Stark showed up in the after credits scene of the Hulk. And these shorts would probably create 100x less flexibility for future movies than that one scene.

Yeah. Early 90's Starlin, Len Kaminksi, and Steve Englehart stories that delve into ethereal cosmic entities and the metaphysics of the Marvel universe have always been my favorite.

On a semi-related note, I always thought it would have been cool for them to cut up The Thanos Quest into 3 or 4 short films attached to each Avengers solo film (ala pixars shorts) or as after-credit tags that lead into Avengers 2 (or whichever film Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet is in). Except that that's not really feasible because the script for an Avengers movie isn't really locked when the solo films start filming (heck not even locked until Joss is done editing :P). They can't really afford to paint themselves into a corner again the way they did when Stark showed up in the after credits scene of the Hulk. And these shorts would probably create 100x less flexibility for future movies than that one scene.

Wouldn't have been a bad idea but i think to actually show thanos in his full glory; needs to be saved for a major event movie like avengers 2.

i still have some Ultraverse comics of Steve Engalhart and also some issues of the DC millenium crossover from the late 80's that he wrote.

Jim Starlin is just a brilliant man. Love his work.  Found this on wiki a while ago:

Starlin has admitted the character is influenced by Jack Kirby's Darkseid:

“ Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You'd think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : "Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"

lol

BOM's given a decent 3D/IMAX breakdown.  I can do a ticket estimate once the actuals come out.  Eye-balling it tells me 19.5-20M, which would put it anywhere from 5th-7th (NM is 5th at 19.9M, SM1 is 6th at 19.7M)

BOM's given a decent 3D/IMAX breakdown.  I can do a ticket estimate once the actuals come out.  Eye-balling it tells me 19.5-20M, which would put it anywhere from 5th-7th (NM is 5th at 19.9M, SM1 is 6th at 19.7M)

Your ticket estimate for New Moon is over a million higher than BOM. How did you come up with that?

Wouldn't have been a bad idea but i think to actually show thanos in his full glory; needs to be saved for a major event movie like avengers 2.

i still have some Ultraverse comics of Steve Engalhart and also some issues of the DC millenium crossover from the late 80's that he wrote.

Jim Starlin is just a brilliant man. Love his work.  Found this on wiki a while ago:

Starlin has admitted the character is influenced by Jack Kirby's Darkseid:

“ Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You'd think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : "Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"

lol

haha. yeah i'm sure Thanos started out as a kind of copy of Darkseid, but i think Thanos has probably had more growth as a character, going from villain to anti-hero / hero and back again. You're never quite sure if his intentions are honorable or not. Eventhough he has tried to destroy the universe he's also saved it countless times. Although one this is for sure, that if Thanos is involved it's a BFD  :lol: .

I sort of figured that I just can't fathom how people could be disappointed with a film that still is going to be the number 2 opener of all time.

Welcome to BOF *sigh* Edited by Mattrek
  • Like 1

So will this be the biggest weekend thread of the year or will we have a bigger one?

Biggest of the year. I was in Wisconsin this last weekend. I stayed in town called dodgeville and it had best BBQ I have ever had. if ever near there you should go to Bob's Bitching BBQ.