Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

I sort of figured that I just can't fathom how people could be disappointed with a film that still is going to be the number 2 opener of all time.

Yeah.  The expectations are borderline ridiculous sometimes.  

I mean, I guess there will be some mild letdown when you were initially told it'll be at 175 but in the end it's "only" 172.  

But I don't really understand any disappointment with being the #2 opener with 172M, especially when just three days ago on Friday afternoon in these very forums, estimates were being projected to only be 150-160 and people here were freaking out then.

• Like 1

So is the assumption that $400m is now almost a lock?

Which I admit, as much a believer as I was, I had trouble going all the way to $400m with my call. 

it just needs a 2,28 multiplier.

Should be a lock

I predicted a 410m total and #1 DOM. I'm feeling pretty confident about both of those.

Nice call.

But i expect at bit higher total

you know what's a flop , how this thread has slowed down ,after getting such traction on friday and saturday ...tsk tsk

Well don't blame us :P It's not our fault that the entire movie's turned out to be a huge Floppit turs. ;)
  • Like 2

I thought a few others expected a 27%+ drop from Saturday to Sunday was very possible given Spider-man 1, which had phenomenal WOM, had a Cinco de Mayo Sunday and dropped 27%. So, sans the holiday, Iron Man 3 likely drops harder from Friday to Saturday than it did OR drops 25% or so from Saturday to Sunday. Either way, an OW over $170M's still damn impressive. Also falls in line with previous Iron Man flicks...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

So No Sunday Avengers effect?Oh.Lets hope today stays over 15M...

$1.2B WW for IM3 coming off just IM2, without the Avengers in between?  No way!  Can't believe people still don't believe that there is an Avengers effect.  At $9 average ticket (reasonable with kids tickets and matinees pulling the average ticket price down and 3D pulling it up), Avengers would have sold about 168 million tickets WW.  For a film with great reviews and great WOM, that will have a lasting impact on follow-ups.

• Like 1

So The Avengers effect only works Friday and Saturday? I'm confused.

The Avengers effect made it bigger in general, but the daily drops are matching IM2

The Disney Board members who approved the go ahead in '09 to purchase Marvel Studios for some $4 Billion have got to be continually patting each others back. Talk about a return on investment already! And that's just Box Office. 

• Like 7