• Founder / Operator

Going with these as my final projections for the afternoon:

Fri: $65m (incl. $15.6m previews)

Sat: $54m (-17%)

Sun: $40.0m (-26%)Wknd: $159.0m

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 3

What time do you stop counting?

Depends.  With TDKR I had stopped counting a few hours before midnights, as I couldn't get myself to do anything related on that Friday.  Avengers, I did a count the night of, just to get a sense of the shows, but didn't get sellouts.  THG, I did a count that morning, maybe a few hours before the one I just did.

That said, IM3 had 820 shows listed yesterday afternoon, which was already 110 ahead of the next highest (THG).  I have an exam at 7 today, so I won't be able to do anymore until after that.

Edited by spizzer

The only place where I'm maybe lowballing too much is Friday's day number. I don't think my Saturday/Sunday drops are unreasonable at all. If Fridays end up a bit higher than my prediction, then low-mid $150s will be the total.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

Meanwhile, all of you who haven't seen the movie yet could be helping increase Friday numbers...

I drove to all 4000 theaters that are showing it and demanded a refund just so I could make the numbers worse.

Going with these as my final projections for the afternoon:Fri: $65m (incl. $16.5m previews)Sat: $54m (-17%)Sun: $40.0m (-26%)Wknd: $159.0m

I can see what you are doing there. ;)
  • Like 1

I drove to all 4000 theaters that are showing it and demanded a refund just so I could make the numbers worse.

So that's why you have 4000 different handprints on your face.... hmmmm.....
  • Like 1

The only place where I'm maybe lowballing too much is Friday's day number. I don't think my Saturday/Sunday drops are unreasonable at all. If Fridays end up a bit higher than my prediction, then low-mid $150s will be the total.

True but a few % here and there with 150+ opener can change a lot.

Dont forget...

The 15.6 M number is no doubt big. However, I think this has a more rush factor than THE AVENGERS. People are excited to see this after the success of that 2012 behemoth. But with a divided audience and not so great reviews, I don't think this will hold well throughout the weekend. If it does, that's good. The second weekend is gonna be interesting.

• Like 1

"The 15.6 M number is no doubt big. However, I think this has a more rush factor than THE AVENGERS. People are excited to see this after the success of that 2012 behemotH."

No I think the audience for marvel films is not the preview kind...

However you may be right or I may be wrong but it looks to easily match IM2 day business so I think your wrong.

I think this is finishing with 162 this weekend, slightly down from my BSG predictions of 166.  It's a good number, but WOM is just solid, not outstanding, so 400 might be up for grabs in such a busy month. 

Going with these as my final projections for the afternoon:

Fri: $65m (incl. $15.6m previews)

Sat: $54m (-17%)

Sun: $40.0m (-26%)Wknd: $159.0m

I hope you are right since my predictions are very close to this. 156M Though I am expecting 165ishM

• Founder / Operator

The 15.6 M number is no doubt big. However, I think this has a more rush factor than THE AVENGERS. People are excited to see this after the success of that 2012 behemoth. But with a divided audience and not so great reviews, I don't think this will hold well throughout the weekend. If it does, that's good. The second weekend is gonna be interesting.

Especially with Gatsby tracking very well. It may actually break the curse of the second May weekend (though not to the extent of Star Trek, obviously).

I don't believe the audience is divided. I think it is experiencing very good WOM.

• Like 2