Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

I think this is the "most likely to be completely wrong" early projection

How so? It's intended to provide a base line. If he's wrong, it's opening to less than $60m...and this place will become meltdown city if that happens.

Avengers played like a sequel of all marvel movies. HG is like the 1st one of the series. In that sense there is greater potential.

I would say 95% Avengers 2 will beat HG 3. Just saying that its not a lock that 2 Marvel movies will have 2 top OW after May 2015.

I think it's a lock for Marvel to have the top two OW spots once Avengers 2 is released.

but yeah, after that all bets are off. Lets not forget Star Wars 7 might come out that same summer.

Twilight suffered from so much bad press from large sections of the media and society that it lost some audience also movies are truly dire. Hunger games is huge but can't see it breaking TA OW by the final film it's not a cultural event like TA is. Only films with a chance IMO is TA 2 and SW7 or one of the sequels.

Twilight remained steady during the whole franchise run and it had an OS bump for the final episode that is the biggest grosser of the whole franchise.

Sometimes, franchises are immune to critics.

Going with these as my final projections for the afternoon:

Fri: $65m (incl. $15.6m previews)

Sat: $54m (-17%)

Sun: $40.0m (-26%)Wknd: $159.0m

Expected, nobody is gonna say $160 million is not impressive

But I was half-expecting a crazier $180-190 million opening 

with a steep drop of 60% following weekend.

About cf beating TA.... all o can say is tdkr...About Gatsby buzz is high but I have doubts about young people flooding to the film...They are interested but pay 10 BUCKS?..Still 40 million opening and it will be frontloaded.

I know at least 50 people who are seeing it Friday alone, and all of them are young people.  So, yes I guarantee it opens to 40 million. I'd bet money on that. 

About Thg... It has peaked in interest with males...I watches THG and sort of liked and my friends but not returning for Cf in theaters..So in the future Thg phenomena will be more female centred..

About Thg... It has peaked in interest with males...I watches THG and sort of liked and my friends but not returning for Cf in theaters..So in the future Thg phenomena will be more female centred..

Because you and your inner circle represent the male gene, of course.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

True but I think the reviews aroung GG could turn off older audiences and ST opens next week.Thus 40 million opening but sub 110 finish

It's definitely off topic, but the clip I saw last night didn't encourage me on TGG's legs. The acting looks great, but the background looked like a low-budget CG movie from 2002.

• Like 1

Well, to be totally fair, when Variety reported that Avengers was getting slightly better matinee business than The Dark Knight, we all pretty much knew that it'd be doing  a lot more than the projected $65m considering the differences between a May and July release.

I'd like to hope these sources aren't making the same mistake again.

• Like 1