Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh this opens next Friday here in the U.K.

None of the opening day showings at my local are particularly busy so far. About 10-20 tickets booked for each showing after 5pm. 

I suspect it'll be more of a walk in film than prebookings. It's been advertised well so people should know it's coming out 

2 minutes ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

Wow.. That low huh?? Ouch.. How the mighty have fallen.. :thinking:

Well, Kong was tracking around there as well but made a lot more in the end. BATB also vastly exceeded expectations. I think studios are intentionally low-balling expectations so that they can then "beat"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

Well, Kong was tracking around there as well but made a lot more in the end. BATB also vastly exceeded expectations. I think studios are intentionally low-balling expectations so that they can then "beat"

Tracking isn't the studios.

But A:C doesn't come out for several weeks. There's time to boost its awareness and interest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Only?

Prometheus opened at $51m! 

And had some awful legs; a 2.48 multiplier in June. This has the Alien name attached to it, so I don't think it will open quite that low, but I don't see it matching Prometheus. Especially if it's as hardcore an R as has been hinted at.

2 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Tracking isn't the studios.

But A:C doesn't come out for several weeks. There's time to boost its awareness and interest. 

Would you be shocked to find out that there was some *behind the scenes* coordination between studios and whoever is doing the tracking? Something like Wall Street and rating agencies? 

Just now, PPZVGOS said:

Would you be shocked to find out that there was some *behind the scenes* coordination between studios and whoever is doing the tracking? Something like Wall Street and rating agencies? 

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot -- they rely on that data for their own internal tasks. 

The only thing you should consider as "biased" is studio's own official projections (they like to be conservative) and rival studio projections (they like to be a little aggressive).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

And had some awful legs; a 2.48 multiplier in June. This has the Alien name attached to it, so I don't think it will open quite that low, but I don't see it matching Prometheus. Especially if it's as hardcore an R as has been hinted at.

Yes, I did not comment on Prometheus's legs at all. If Alien Covenant is better than OK, I would expect it to boast much longer legs than its predecessor, regardless of its OW. 

• Like 1

First reactions

#AlienCovenant is an intense, strange and nightmarish continuation of the franchise. A great companion to Prometheus & the Alien mythos.

Bloody, odd, mysterious and a staggering picture of madness at times. Horrific in unexpected ways. #AlienCovenant

So Alien Convenant ???? Definitely worth a trip to the cinema & a large box of popcorn! #AlienCovenant

Yes yes ? #AlienCovenant what an intense rollercoaster of mystery & bloodshed! Haven't stopped talking about it probably won't sleep either

Alien Covenant is fantastic and fun and scary #RidleyRules

#AlienCovenant is definitely better than Prometheus, bringing back the needed horror into the franchise. Deadly beautiful and mysterious

Scared out my nut, jumped wayyy too many times out my seat, add The fact I had my teeth clenched ?through the whole film too #AlienCovenant

First impressions. More satisfying than Prometheus. Last act little messy re: the Aliens. Loved the cast and characters. 

#AlienCovenant flew by. It will please fans. Lots of classic touches, dark, gruesome at times, of course! Full review on Sunday.

Was at the premiere of Alien covenant tonight. Scary stuff! Very good out of very good. Need to watch something light now. Care Bears 2 perhaps

Edited by Bigausorus
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Bo.com tracking is too low. It will open at least ten million higher and do a frontloaded 100m gross

Thats not their tracking, it's industry tracking. They just tweeted it.

Early reactions living up to what I thought: straight horror film.

Hoping for a slasher in space.

Lots of idiots, doing dumb things, killed one by one in a gory manner, final girl. 

• Like 4