Jack Nevada

One Hit Wonder directors

Now that he has two underwhelming Spider-Man movies to his name, I feel like I might have to add Marc Webb to his list. He had a scorching debut with (500) Days of Summer, and... then... those ill-advised Spidey flicks. Then again, I could see him easily getting back on track with another collaboration with the Summer screenwriters, who have found pretty solid success in YA adaptations (even if those adaptations came from source material that was strong to begin with).

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎55‎:‎48‎, John Marston said:

P.J. Hogan - My Best Friend's Wedding

Before that he made a big splash with Muriel's Wedding (the movie that introduced the world to Toni Collette). And he made one of the better Peter Pan movies out there (infinitely better than Joe Wright's really odd duck from this year) even if it was far from a box office hit. Confessions of a Shopaholic was ass, though.

• Like 1

Gallen is interesting is that he has a ton of director, producer, exec producer credits  (including Zoolander) before and after but he realized he didn't like directing films

Two good movies that didn't make money at the box office

Bill Murray - Quick Change (1990)

Bill Sherwood - Parting Glances (1986) Sherwood was the writer/director/editor who sadly died of AIDS a few years later

7 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Now that he has two underwhelming Spider-Man movies to his name, I feel like I might have to add Marc Webb to his list. He had a scorching debut with (500) Days of Summer, and... then... those ill-advised Spidey flicks. Then again, I could see him easily getting back on track with another collaboration with the Summer screenwriters, who have found pretty solid success in YA adaptations (even if those adaptations came from source material that was strong to begin with).

The first ASM got solid if unspectacular reviews and made money so I think it counts as a plus.  Aside from his TV series he just finished filming Gifted with Evans, and has 4 films in development including The Only Living Boy in NY coming up next with Teller

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

PTA : Boogie Nights

The Coen Brothers : The Big Lebowski

Nicholas Windin Refn : Drive

Francis Ford Coppola : Apocalypse Now

Terrence Malick : The Thin Red Line

:kitschjob:

• Like 1

I have probably seen more Mallick movies than most tho.

The movies I ve listed are the only ones I truly love from their directors, don't care about the rest.

I cheated with Coppola tho because I adore his Dracula, Godfather rmovies put me to sleep.

On 10/25/2016 at 8:14 PM, The Futurist said:

I have probably seen more Mallick movies than most tho.

The movies I ve listed are the only ones I truly love from their directors, don't care about the rest.

I cheated with Coppola tho because I adore his Dracula, Godfather rmovies put me to sleep.

Even if you don't like the directors' output, it's pretty much impossible to argue that any of them (except possibly Refn?) are "one hit wonders", especially since in many cases you weren't listing their biggest hit.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

You can only say Refn is a one hit wonder if you think Drive was his debut. 

Box office-wise, Drive's about the only one that's an unqualified hit.

Quality-wise, I'd probably only consider one of his films to be even "good".

20 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Box office-wise, Drive's about the only one that's an unqualified hit.

Quality-wise, I'd probably only consider one of his films to be even "good".

All the Pusher films were very commercially and critically successful in Denmark. 

I'll start with Leonard Nimoy.  Granted he directed both Part III and IV of Star Trek, but that was his wheelhouse, and he was not the only one behind there success. The following year he directs the biggest film of the year, 3 Men and A Baby.  His next films after that however were abysmal bombs critically and financially.  

McG and Renny Harlin come to mind too for bigger directors.  (Though in Harlin's case I think 2 of his other films outside of cliffhanger have some fans.)

I think in general this will be a hard list to compile because I think in terms of more well known directors, there is always a chance it can get a cult following or become a minor success.  I think it has to be at least 80% of their films have done bad, and none have done better than the one that put them on the map.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 1