Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

14 hours ago, froptesa said:

Fanatsy is in decline as TH huge drop from LOTR shows. WB is deluding themselves into thinking they`ll become the Marvel of fantasy.

Has Fantasy every really caught on as a genre big time?

Everybody was expecting it to be right up there with Sci Fi after LOTR was such a huge hit, but it did not  happen. Narnia did well in the wake Of LOTR, but all the other LOTR wannabe fantasy films failed. Fantasy can generate the occasion big hit, but seems unable to put together a string of sucessful films..which  is whay you need to be a major genre.

Suprised at the good reviews, don't know if it will be enough to make this a hit, though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

89% / 27 reviews

It's even higher with top critics at 91%.

I believe there were some press screenings tonight so we will probably be seeing some more reviews trickle in throughout the week. 

Hopefully the positive WOM will continue to boost ticket sales. I'd love to see this blow past projections and open to like 40m.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Has Fantasy every really caught on as a genre big time?

Everybody was expecting it to be right up there with Sci Fi after LOTR was such a huge hit, but it did not  happen. Narnia did well in the wake Of LOTR, but all the other LOTR wannabe fantasy films failed. Fantasy can generate the occasion big hit, but seems unable to put together a string of sucessful films..which  is whay you need to be a major genre.

Suprised at the good reviews, don't know if it will be enough to make this a hit, though.

Not in NA but fantasy is huge overseas. I know in japan there was a big fantasy series of novels based on the author's dnd game. ( for those curious the series is called record of the lodoss war)

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly, at the rate things are going, that might not be a bold prediction after all.

I think its honestly a given. I don't have the required security clearance to use the L word (LOCK) but it feels like its nearly there.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly, at the rate things are going, that might not be a bold prediction after all.

Another sign that other franchise is coming in to take over the Superhero genre fatigue.  Pine and Jean Page could be a big magnet for women crowd.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:00 PM, Reddroast said:

Not in NA but fantasy is huge overseas. I know in japan there was a big fantasy series of novels based on the author's dnd game. ( for those curious the series is called record of the lodoss war)

Books and Movies are two different animals. Fantasy novles are also very popular in the West, Fantasy movies not so much.

One thing I like about what I am reading about DnD:Honor Among ThievesL

Spoiler

Apparnelty the Party members in the movie, bicker, bitch ,complian, argue, and generally fight each other the exact same way D and D players  in a party are notorious for doing. Nice bit of Humor, there.

• Like 1

There are more tickets sold for this at my theater so far than Shazam. Of course it's still early and there are far more screens for Shazam, but I consider it a good sign for this.

Got my ticket, wonder if they'll give us free swag.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Morieris said:

There are more tickets sold for this at my theater so far than Shazam. Of course it's still early and there are far more screens for Shazam, but I consider it a good sign for this.

If they do, should be Coca Cola and Cheetos, the mian sustance of  D and D players.

4 hours ago, Morieris said:

If they do, should be Coca Cola and Cheetos, the mian sustance of  D and D players.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:14 PM, SLAM! said:

One thing to think about is that Super Mario comes out during the second weekend, but after that, the rest of April is very weak until the release of GotG 3 in May. So this film is going to have its first weekend and then the whole of April to attract audiences through word of mouth as the marquee “fun” action blockbuster that everyone can see. The overall weakness of April will definitely help this movie at the box office, because Renfield’s not gonna “do it,” Evil Dead Rise’s not gonna “do it,” Big George Foreman’s not gonna “do it”—but this film could.

That will be me - I'll be seeing Shazam and Mario (already have tickets to both), and I'm sure my kids will want to see DnD, but it might wait for the dregs of April vs "fitting it in" between the 1st 2 movies...

• Like 1