Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

4 hours ago, Borobudur said:

The advanced screenings seem only bring forward the demand, instead of boosting the buzz of the movie. 

But it got that demand at PLF rates...with such a short PLF time thanks to Mario on Wednesday, even if DnD just brought forth demand vs spurring it, it did so at the highest of ticket prices...that's still a win...

13 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I thought Korea hated America style humor? Maybe it IS that good?!?

A movie everyone had the lowest of low hopes for turns out to be competent, charming and funny. Cue high critical and audience ratings cause it's alywas better to exceed expectations than not meet them. While I don't expect this to be the next POTC:COTBP, reception is similar minus iconic Jack Sparrow. Reviews praise Pine but he isn't getting the kind of Wow reactions that Depp got for his iconic turn. He's Pine doing the Pinest Pine and that's good enough. 

• Like 3

Ive had a 180 turn on this movie. From expecting a huge turd and flop, im now really rooting for it be a mini-breakout or at least to not be a money looser. The box office needs more new and exciting franchises, especially so with Marvel seemingly loosing their box office grip. And how long ago is it that weve had a new fantasy movie doing really well (i know, DnD is an old and well known property, but this still counts as a new-ish movie for me).

Hoping for 40M+ on OW, though mid 30s seems more realistic. After that, hopefully good WOM can carry it.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Hoping for 40M+ on OW, though mid 30s seems more realistic. After that, hopefully good WOM can carry it.

Someone asked ERC on Twitter and apparently the preview showings over the past 2 weeks count toward the Opening numbers, so I do hope it can reach these goals!

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Ive had a 180 turn on this movie. From expecting a huge turd and flop, im now really rooting for it be a mini-breakout or at least to not be a money looser. The box office needs more new and exciting franchises, especially so with Marvel seemingly loosing their box office grip. And how long ago is it that weve had a new fantasy movie doing really well (i know, DnD is an old and well known property, but this still counts as a new-ish movie for me).

When superhero genre start losing its charm, there must be something else coming in as replacement. Although in this case DnD look more like a mitigation than replacement. It is still hard to offset the impact from series of underperformance with "just" $40m+ opening. 

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

When superhero genre start losing its charm, there must be something else coming in as replacement. Although in this case DnD look more like a mitigation than replacement. It is still hard to offset the impact from series of underperformance with "just" $40m+ opening. 

Thats true, but every succesfull franchise at some point has started small. John Wick for example, the first one had a 14,4M OW and was seen as a moderate hit at best at the time. And now John Wick is probably the top action franchise together with Mission Impossible and James Bond.

In the long term, Marvel likely will never be able to replicate the insane success of the Infinity Saga and Dungeons and Dragons maybe has the potential - together with other series of course - to make up for that somewhat, if this first film here can find an audience. Because as a DnD player myself i can confidently say that the story possibilitys for DnD films are literally endless. 

Edit: Im not saying ofc that DnD has the potential to rival Marvel or anything like that, but it could be one of many franchises to fill the void to an extent.

Edited by Brainbug

This will likely be another Detective Pikachu. It'll do decently on its own, but keeping the budget in mind I don't think it'll be enough for Paramount to pursue this IP any further.

Before anyone brings up the recent Detective Pikachu 2 news, that's only reentering development because of Legendary's new deal with Sony. Had Legendary stayed with Warner that would never see the light of day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This will likely be another Detective Pikachu. It'll do decently on its own, but keeping the budget in mind I don't think it'll be enough for Paramount to pursue this IP any further.

Before anyone brings up the recent Detective Pikachu 2 news, that's only reentering development because of Legendary's new deal with Sony. Had Legendary stayed with Warner that would never see the light of day.

?? DnD is not a Warner movie. And Paramount like Sony is desperate for IPs

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

?? DnD is not a Warner movie. And Paramount like Sony is desperate for IPs

I think if this can make $300m+ WW, Paramount would be up for a sequel at a budget of around $120m maybe. That may not be feasible tho. I assume a reason the budget for this is at $150m has to do with Covid restrictions and testings when this shot that probably wouldn't cost nearly as much today even. But that probably wasn't THAT much money

Worried about that International debut tho. Bc man.... what Deadline is saying (25m) would be terrible 

Edited by Pinacolada

It seems like the trailers really did the movie a disservice. Personally I loved them and thought they looked great, but the majority of people online I saw were saying that this looked like trash and expected it to bomb.

This would have to have some really fantastic legs to break out, similar to how PIB did last year. Not saying it can't happen, but right now there isn't that level of wom imo

I do think this will play much like a big family film but we'll just have to see how general audiences react to it. Deadline is predicting some disastrous numbers OS

Edited by AGlitchGnome
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AGlitchGnome said:

Deadline is predicting some disastrous numbers OS

I saw 65$m and went "Oh, not too bad" until I saw the WW on the end like...well, we can hope.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/dungeons-and-dragons-box-office-projection-1235312815/#recipient_hashed=ec91b969b65d1e1745d3ef92ae48fb9ae6e7786603732f927ee0a9c0e8b204e4&recipient_salt=0cf33522f912c84da366a7402b8d7f5962ad423e429fab7d5c22cc1fb292afa3