Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

4 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

To be fair to them, treating the material with sincerity and earnestness is not very D&D at all.

I disagree. Critical Role is goofy as hell (On purpose) and filled with comedy but it's very sincere and earnest.

I have a friend with her bf casually walked into Saturday's preview screening without knowing the movie is actually still not a general release, posted the very positive reaction on her social media. 

Whilst I agree the movie's review is very encouraging but I doubt all these early screening will generate enthusiastic positive response from crowd for DD. Unlike DD, Game Night generate very passionate response since its release, that movie is memorable positively received which I doubt DD will replicate that success. To me, the advanced screenings generally helping those movies that generate strong-passionate response.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Pre-sales are generally pretty good around me. Not a huge breakout or anything, but something close to a 40M opening wouldn't surprise me. 

Considering this was originally tracking for something like  23-30m that would be seen as a small win.

Unfortunately it will need strong legs to offset the bloated budget even if it opens that high. Not that it couldn't be done, but it's fighting an uphill battle.

Edited by AGlitchGnome

13 minutes ago, AGlitchGnome said:

Considering this was originally tracking for something like  23-30m that would be seen as a small win.

Unfortunately it will need strong legs to offset the bloated budget even if it opens that high. Not that it couldn't be done, but it's fighting an uphill battle.

It's to be seen if international markets still love Fantasy. Was looking back at the fantasy movies of the late 2000s and early 2010s (stuff like Golden Compass and the later Narnia movies), and while many of them did meh domestically they all did like near $300m internationally. 

If DnD can make $100m+ domestically and around $300m internationally like those movies for a WW gross of $400m+, I think that would be a win for Paramount.

Edited by Pinacolada

Going by Letterboxd right now (3.6) seems like the response might be positive but kind of middling, though very early and also Letterboxd is a very specific kind of crowd. Anyone have any other audience metrics or are those locked until the official release?

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Going by Letterboxd right now (3.6) seems like the response might be positive but kind of middling, though very early and also Letterboxd is a very specific kind of crowd. Anyone have any other audience metrics or are those locked until the official release?

It seems very much like a 3.5-4.0/5 kinda movie. We're probably not gonna be seeing a lot of 5/5s for this

I will say again that the 3/19 showings were through Atom Tickets exclusively, not Fandango. I think only a couple of showings were listed on Fandango probably by mistake. We'll have to wait for actual audience ratings on RT later 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

It's to be seen if international markets still love Fantasy. Was looking back at the fantasy movies of the late 2000s and early 2010s (stuff like Golden Compass and the later Narnia movies), and while many of them did meh domestically they all did like near $300m internationally. 

If DnD can make $100m+ domestically and around $300m internationally like those movies for a WW gross of $400m+, I think that would be a win for Paramount.

It's not a 1:1 comparison, but I remember how well Warcraft did in China, does this have a China release?

23 minutes ago, Mulder said:

3.6 on letter for this type of movie is great

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It won't be an A+ CS but probably A. The humor won't work for everyone but there's enough action and digestible emotional beats to compensate. It's a very broad movie

27 minutes ago, Morieris said:

It's not a 1:1 comparison, but I remember how well Warcraft did in China, does this have a China release?

According to Deadline it does have a china release, not sure what tracking looks like there though.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/dungeons-and-dragons-honor-among-thieves-china-release-date-1235257517/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It won't be an A+ CS but probably A. The humor won't work for everyone but there's enough action and digestible emotional beats to compensate. It's a very broad movie

Yeah having seen it way early I'd probably agree. I just wonder if it can even break-out enough for that though.

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

This early on Letterboxd, not really.

Being early is mostly irrelevant for this platform, unlike RT or IMDB the grades on this one usually stays the same or very close to it´s early grades, it even goes upwards sometimes like PIB starting with 3.9 and now it have 4.3 

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Being early is mostly irrelevant for this platform, unlike RT or IMDB the grades on this one usually stays the same or very close to it´s early grades, it even goes upwards sometimes like PIB starting with 3.9 and now it have 4.3 

Being on Letterboxd myself, I disagree. Stuff like Eternals and GvK started higher and then lowered.

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

Problem is how many hard core fantasy fans will go for a fantasy film that does not take itself seriouly.

6 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

To be fair to them, treating the material with sincerity and earnestness is not very D&D at all.

As anybody who has actually played D and D can tell you. Most pl;ayers don't take it that seriously.

We are not taling LOTR or Narnia,here folks.

• Like 1