Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

As a sucker for fantasy movies, I am just so happy to have seen a movie like this done right. That 151M budget was well-spent. It looked epic to me. The landscapes, the visuals, the action sequences (I enjoyed a lot of them here), fight coreographies (I loved the final fight), and yes the sound design were all amazing. The comedic banter, though not perfect, was fun. There is also a surprising cameo. I had to do a double look because I couldn't believe it. 😅

There was one green screen scene that I didn't like. I feel like it was just inserted in the movie because the rest was just beautiful.

I really hope this finds an audience and do well at the box office because we need more of this.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Seeing this now, hoping it's a blast.

Sure enough it was. It's a ton of fun with a clever script and playful directing. A few too many scenes that rely on heavily CG'd environments but it never loses track of the characters.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Sure enough it was. It's a ton of fun with a clever script and playful directing. A few too many scenes that rely on heavily CG'd environments but it never loses track of the characters.

IMHO if the rest of the film is good, people will forgive wonky CGI.

It's the films where the script does not keep your attention that get blasted for bad CGI I have noted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

IMHO if the rest of the film is good, people will forgive wonky CGI.

It's the films where the script does not keep your attention that get blasted for bad CGI I have noted.

Pretty much. And then it usually lasts for a handful of seconds at most before it moves on to a better shot.

Very fun movie. It does well combining silly laughs with fun characters while also having a lot of charm and personality all on its own. Don't know if it will appeal too much to people who aren't already playing the game, but it captures the excitement and fun very, very well. Good stuff.

• Like 1

I never played or really know anything about D&D.  I thought the movie was fine.  The story was very simple.  It did drag IMO in the first act and one liners after one liners felt very MCU (good and bad). I liked all the actors performances.  Will this movie play for your average Joe...Im not sure. 7/10.

44 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Anyone know if the movie has any post-credits? Going to watch in a couple of hours

Spoiler

IIRC, there's a mid credit scene. I don't remember an end credit once. The credits are entertaining though.

• Thanks 1

We've received confirmations from everyone, so, I'll be buying a group of 9 tickets to see this Saturday for my kids 10th birthday party.

I've been paying attention to ticket sales on this once since they've been released for my theatre, and it was extremely slow to start, partly to make sure i won't have issues getting seats together. Lots of empty showings.

But, over the course of the last day, things are really picking up. Maybe it's word of mouth from the advance showings.

It'll be nice if this performs well. This can really take advantage of the gap left by the Antman and Shazam disappointments. 

I'm also curious as to what the audience breakdown of this film will be. Despite it being a male dominated cast, it feels like it might be more split down the middle in terms of audience. You've had two very male driven hits this past month with Wick and Creed, and surprisingly little female driven content recently. I'm hoping the fun tone of this can attract that audience

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I'm also curious as to what the audience breakdown of this film will be. Despite it being a male dominated cast, it feels like it might be more split down the middle in terms of audience. You've had two very male driven hits this past month with Wick and Creed, and surprisingly little female driven content recently. I'm hoping the fun tone of this can attract that audience

My audience had quite a lot of women; Some without men, some who were clearly part of a RP group, some who just like high fantasy (🙋🏾‍♀️), maybe some who just wanted to see Chris Pine and Rege Jean-Page.

13 minutes ago, Morieris said:

My audience had quite a lot of women; Some without men, some who were clearly part of a RP group, some who just like high fantasy (🙋🏾‍♀️), maybe some who just wanted to see Chris Pine and Rege Jean-Page.

It feels like the best date night movie that's been out these last couple of months. And honestly, the next couple of months aren't much better.