baumer

IM3 Thurs (RTH) 7.6M....Gatsby 3.25 midnights

Regal Union Square always has sell outs. That's why I like to check other theaters in other areas to get a sense of how a film is doing.. Iron Man 3 had 2 sell outs last night and no doubt it will have some tonight.  But if you look down a little further on the page you will see that 42 has a sell out show there tonight.

True but really early sellouts there lead to more sellouts in other major theaters. That is a trend I always observed.

The Tobey factor? Unless he's web slinging Leo, there is no Tobey factor.

Huge # for TGG though, very interesting weekend coming up.

Tobey Factor ?

I lol'ed !

:D:lol:

Funny this guy has been in one of the biggest franchise ever and he still represents nothing in Hollywood, he is such a non entity.

Definitely tongue firmly planted in cheeck when I typed that... Just thought it'd be funny to read.

According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 Gatsby ticket-buyers, 83% said DiCaprio is the actor they most want to see in the film (8% Carey Mulligan, 7% Tobey Maguire)

Lol @ Mulligan Factor beating Tobey Factor!  :lol:

I'm not joking about being slightly disappointed, honestly. I've been riding the Gatsby 50 million train for a long time now, and with the buzz around the movie combined with the huge number of sellouts last night, yes, 4 million seemed like a reasonable number. 

Are people genuinely disappointed by TGG's midnights?  Or is my sarcasm sensor busted?

These are the same people that are disappointed in Eclipses 30 mill midnight.

These are the same people that are disappointed in Eclipses 30 mill midnight.

Eh, apples and oranges. 30 million is a tremendous number that no movie should ever expect- plenty of movies in the past year have hit three million. It's not asking too much for an extra million more to indicate a huge breakout. Besides, it's only a tiny bit below what I predicted for midnights (3.65), so it's not like meltdown levels.

Edited by Cmasterclay

Transformer 4 and Pirates 5 are going to be interesting they will make 300 and 200 at most domestic but still cross a billion lolz!

I remember we used to talk of foreign audiences as being more discernible than U.S. audiences. For whatever reason, it seems like foreign audiences are more easy to please now. 

• Like 1

If you're disappointed in GG's midnights then I think you're out of touch. It's still a female-driven period film. 3.2 mil for it is insane. 

Because female driven films have never been big at midnight, of course. But 55 million for the weekend, regardless of midnight, is absolutely spectacular and not a disappointment in the least. 

Because female driven films have never been big at midnight, of course. But 55 million for the weekend, regardless of midnight, is absolutely spectacular and not a disappointment in the least. 

Emphasis on the "period."

Emphasis on the "period."

The audience was still younger, college and high school aged women, plus alot more men than given credit for- it wasn't the audience for a typical period film. I certainly see your point, but Gatsby's popularity as a book among young folks makes it alot different than other period movies. If anything, it should be more frontloaded.