baumer

IM3 Thurs (RTH) 7.6M....Gatsby 3.25 midnights

I know Iron Man 2 only had a 135% increase on its first Friday, so I get why you think that a 143% increase would be optimistic...but Spider-Man 3 had a 190% jump.    So personally I don't see your weekend numbers as optimistic.

Same here. Ceiling is $75-77m, while the floor is $62-63m. Big range, but we just don't know how it'll play out until it does. I'm guessing high 60's, low 70's is where it ends up.

See about 68-70 million this weekend, then about 50% drop against Star Trek so around 34-35 million and then 35% drop over the 4-day (Spider Man 3 dropped around that much against Shrek 3 and Pirates 4 getting a 4-day gross of around 180 million today).

I think people think people forget it will likely make around 20+ million on memorial day weekend.

I'm sure it'll get to 400m, I can't believe WOM is so moderate it can't get above a 2.3 multiplier. Unless competition is far bigger than we thought.

I think it might be a combination of both. It's a pretty polarizing film and again, I imagine people who came into it expecting something more like The Avengers would be disappointed with what they ended up getting, and that affects WOM.  

Competition will be unquestionably fiercer.  The Great Gatsby is much stronger and has more hype than Dark Shadows last year, even if both have mixed to poor reviews.  Then the bloodbath comes next weekend and the one after that.

If it doesn't reach $400M or whatever fancy number everyone wants or is expecting, it would be because of the competition and not necessarily WOM (though obviously, if the latter had been fantastic it would've helped but I don't think it would've been by that much).

I think people think people forget it will likely make around 20+ million on memorial day weekend.

I didn't put a number to it but said as much that IM3 will get a good Memorial Day bump. People like to get caught up in hysterics without letting history be a guide. A few days of dailies and you get people grasping at half a dozen historical paths, then they puke when the coaster stops. If they'd just be patient. 

• Like 1

I think it might be a combination of both. It's a pretty polarizing film and again, I imagine people who came into it expecting something more like The Avengers would be disappointed with what they ended up getting, and that affects WOM.  

Competition will be unquestionably fiercer.  The Great Gatsby is much stronger and has more hype than Dark Shadows last year, even if both have mixed to poor reviews.  Then the bloodbath comes next weekend and the one after that.

If it doesn't reach $400M or whatever fancy number everyone wants or is expecting, it would be because of the competition and not necessarily WOM (though obviously, if the latter had been fantastic it would've helped but I don't think it would've been by that much).

Amazing WOM can go a long way regardless of competition. Spider-Man held up very well even while going against some really strong competition, including a Star Wars movie. But yeah, even if IM3 has stronger WOM than IM2, I think the competition is going to make it very difficult for it to reach IM2's multiplier (needs $424m).

Well above 7m not quite 8m, about ballpark of what we expected really. No alarms. 

I have a friend in from out of state and he hasn't seen IM3, so I am going for my THIRD viewing with him. That'll likely top me out as I admit if he werent' in town for a comic show I can see twice having been sufficient for me. 

I saw Avengers SEVEN times in the theater, only one was 3-D.

Heh, I could've typed almost the same post, as I'm seeing IM3 for a 3rd time this weekend with a friend who wants to go, and that will probably be it for me.  And I saw Avengers 8 times in the theater.  I have a feeling there are a lot of "us" out there, who saw TA many times, but, while we enjoyed IM3, just don't feel the need to experience it over and over like TA.